The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmc67, Mar 11, 2003.

1. jmc67

jmc67 Well-Known Member

For some reason forwarding is not working for the default cpanel email unless I'm doing something wrong.

Account domain name is: domain.com with username: user

For default email address it is set to user (catch all)

Forwarding is set as: user@domain.com ==> user1@externaladd.com

It forwards only emails addressed to user. Any other email is not forwarded but sits on the neo mail program. So if I recieve an email addressed to noone@domain.com that is not forwarded.

I have no clue why it doesn't work.

:confused:

2. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

3. jmc67

jmc67 Well-Known Member

I got it working

4. Bert W

Bert W Member

I just changed the default email address. How do I get the mail that is in the mail boxes to move to the forwarded address?

The first issue is that the mail was not forwarding for some reason? Or it has been forwarding and the messages are being left on the server. If messages are being forward to another POP, does a copy stay on the Exim server?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

5. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

If there was mail in the default mailbox *before* you changed the address then it will not be forwarded. You will need to read it via webmail or POP it out using a normal email program.

When you change the default address exim does *not* keep a copy. Note though that some system generated / bounced emails will be sent to user@server.domian.com and will end up in this mail box still. Periodically jusy drop in and check the mail box.

6. Bert W

Bert W Member

Why did so much mail accumulate in the mailbox that has a forwarding address associated with it?

7. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

I think some clarification is in order.

If your default account is set to "user" and you have a forwarder set up that states user@domain.com should be forwarded to somewhere@else.com then the mail will be both forwarded AND a copy stored in the user mail box.

If a POP mail box exists alongside a forwarder then mail will be forwarded and then delivered to the local POP mailbox. By default the main user "user" has a POP mailbox.

If you change the default address to "somewhere@else.com" then the forwarder for user@domain.com will only forward.

Is that making more sense?

8. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Is there a way to change this behavior? This is happening to a few of our users, and they are not amused! :) If it is being forwarded, then a copy should not be kept on the server.

9. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

A copy will only be kept on the server *if* a pop account exists with the same name (the main account user already gets a POP account).

If you don't want the forward to store just remove the POP account with the same name, or in the case of the main user you will need to change it via your WHM.