The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE ASSP X (ASSP eXtended - WHM addon with cPanel interface)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ispro, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

I'm proud to present that we have released final stable version of ASSP X (http://sultanserver.com/projects/asspx.tar.gz). (Installation instruction included in the archive)

What is ASSP X? ASSP X is the WHM addon module to automatically install/update ASSP (Anti Spam SMTP Proxy, the best replacement for buggy SpamAssassin, home page at http://assp.sourceforge.net/) with cPanel interface for your clients. Currently we support: x, x2, x3, xmail, bluelagoon, monsoon, Netenberg's xcontroller, all RVSkin.com themes.

The best thing with our addon - it is FREE! Yes, no tricks or whatever.
    Why to pay when you may get more for nothing :)

What is more important - it is so easy to use that you may install and use it with just basic knowledges!

Why to choose ASSP? Because it is fast, powerful, not resource hog, protects Exim from direct connections and small-to-middle DoS on SMTP service.

Feel free to write your comments, bug reports, feature suggestions, etc.

If you wish to contribute to the development contact me via PM.

ASSP should be available on every cPanel server for FREE!

ASSP X created to be a long life product. Why? Because developers initially made it for own company's servers in mind and will support it just because working ASSP is a must. That is another reason on why we do not require a fee for ASSP X (while you may pay for the install if you wish so).

P.S. Installation service is also available if you unsure or wish to have guaranteed painless migration. Contact me via PM.

P.P.S. There is ongoing development of 1.7.x branch of ASSP and beta testing of 2.x branch.

#1 ispro, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Mat-d-rat

Mat-d-rat Well-Known Member

I got a shiney new cpanel server coming soon, this will be one of the first things to install. Thanks for this! Might be worht updating your site a bit more (wiki?) at least a change log etc.

3. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Updated the site with Changelog. Actually changelog is available via WHM when new version of ASSP X released.

Site will be reworked in near months.

4. minzhong

minzhong Active Member

It's good to have another alternative.

Do you have some screenshots of the GUI of the ASSP X interface in cPanel?

5. mohakevin

mohakevin Well-Known Member

Hello,

thanks for the release.

We have installed in a development server, and the installation have been correct. Soon probably we try to install in a production server to test if the application works well or if there are some troubles with the application or server´s load.

i´m surprised because there a huge list of options to avoid spam !!! , is there a guide or a recommended configuration ?

Regards.

6. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

The configuration you got is recommended, really! :)

It took us many hours thinking on what should be done to balance between stable configuration and the ability to edit anything and I guess we found the solution.

When you install ASSP X you are prepared with working ASSP configuration. Our script validate most important settings of your cPanel and if they conflicts with ASSP - you will be reported.

Now about ASSP web interface. You may test the interface and see what various options mean, etc. However to actually change the setting and do it on permanent basis one should add the line to /usr/local/assp/assp.cfg.override
    Sounds hard? Think more about it - when you are ready to make changes you should be able to understand what all these options mean!

There are many things on our todo list and your input is highly appreciated!

7. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Btw, we found that if your server has SPF enabled domains you may face with fine issue - emails are being blocked being SPF invalid.

Actually there is nothing wrong. Server blocks senders if their IPs not match SPF record for domain. It will happens on every mail server which verify SPF records.

On a quick note you may try to disable SPF but it is not a good idea! We advice to replace "-all" with "~all" at your clients' domains and now SPF check won't fail as ~all allows SPF soft fail with no rejection. This also helps with remote servers which verify your cleints' domains for valid SPF record.

Enjoy!

8. chae

chae Well-Known Member

What about getting a production server ready for installing ? On the paid version which is also on offer through this forum it is mentioned that all ACL's, Dictionary attack scripts etc etc be removed. There's no mention of that !

So do admin's on servers already tweaked for Spam remove Spam Assassin, Dictionary Attack, RBL's & have a virgin setup then install or does the installation script point this out for them ?

9. gundamz

gundamz Well-Known Member

Another great addon from the threadstarter of php4 & php5 setup. :)

nice one ispro.

10. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Cleaning Exim configuration is recommended. The script is check for most important settings without which ASSP won't work properly!

We may think about adding the option to install recommended exim.conf (including exim.conf.local for further rebuilds). Do you feel it may be helpful? Let me know.

I also thinking about ability to globally turn test mode On/Off via WHM interface. Is is the thing you need?

11. chae

chae Well-Known Member

"We may think about adding the option to install recommended exim.conf (including exim.conf.local for further rebuilds). Do you feel it may be helpful?"

The default/recommended config files maybe a good way to good, backing up a servers copy & replacing it with a virgin copy would be a help it would also cut down on any problems relating to the exim config files.

"globally turn test mode On/Off via WHM interface"

Yep good idea & if after installation & testing the server admin decides it's not what they want when they uninstall the software does a rollback & everythings back to what i was prior to the install.

12. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks for your great script! we hvae install it and work really good but we have see that ASSP disable the "default address" in Cpanel is there any way to enable it again because we have a lot of customer that use it

thanks

13. boeki

boeki Active Member

thanks for your great script! i was one of the first to use it and to recommend to others to use and it's really a lot of help especially on the config side.

anyway, one thing is noticed is that when the script upgrades, it wipes out my previous assp.cfg. Could you please do a check if variables are not default, to skip changing them? this would be a great help as i wouldn't have to modify the config everytime it updates.

thanks again and more power to people like you!

edit:

btw, rvskin installs an asspdeluxe synlink to ...frontend/x/asspdeluxe. your script is names the folder asspx. rvskin thinks assp is not installed. how do i get rvskin to think assp is actually installed? i already tried a symlink for ...frontend/rv(whatevercolr)/asspdeluxe to .../frontend/x/asspx but rvskin still thinks assp is not installed.

update:

okay, although rvskin (in rvskin manager) thinks assp is not installed, in reality, the asspx link is indeed placed in the email management menu though not in the home page.

anyway, one other thing i noticed is that even if an account is included in the spam lover list, it still shows as "enabled" in the cpanel interface. clicking on "disable" in the cpanel interface shows the confirmation that the account is disabled (and it is indeed disabled as the account is added to the particular spam lover list) but it still shows as "enabled" in the cpanel interface. please have this status display fixed as this might confuse the user.

thanks.

#13 boeki, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  14. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Why do you think it disable default address?!

Our addon unlike Grscript's addon works with catchall addresses very well.

Please, clarify as it may makes other people confused.

15. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

We are actually working with rvskin developers and we may be added as official addon to rvskin shortly :)

Please, let me know HOW have you included account in the spam lover list? Manually or via cPanel interface? Were files at /usr/local/assp/rules/RULE_spam_lover updated with domain name? (RULE is the rule you wish add domain to: helo, bayesian, spf and so on).

It may be permissions issue so I would like to get more details. You may PM me for not to share sensitive data within thread.

16. boeki

boeki Active Member

i manually added some clients (in the form @domain.com on its own line in rules/RULE_spam_lover) via the assp interface (domain.com:55555) but it shows as enabled in the cpanel interface.

i also added some clients (in the form @domain1.com|@domain2.com|etc) in the unprocessed addresses list via the assp interface but the domain's assp cpanel interface still shows as "enabled" for all filters.

17. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Let me know the full permissions of the file "rules/RULE_spam_lover" I suppose it may be broken by ASSP web interface...

Ough! It was a nice point! I'm going to add the check for unprocessed domains at cPanel interface. It will be included in the next release (1.2.0).

18. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

To organize things not processed addresses/domains are moved to separate "files/addrnp.txt" file! It means you would be needed to re-add your not processed domains to this list. If you are using assp.cfg.override, remove the entry from it. Otherwise new feature won't work for you.

19. boeki

boeki Active Member

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 61 Mar 17 12:01 bayesian_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 blacklisted_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 bomb_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 delay_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 helo_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 invalid_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 mxa_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 penalty_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 ptr_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 rbl_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 spf_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 srs_spam_lover
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 41 Mar 17 06:10 uribl_spam_lover

20. weedy

weedy Member

just a heads up
    Code:
    # Redirect MTA to port 125 to enable ASSP
    local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1.125
    Code:
    ==> /var/log/exim_mainlog <==
    2007-03-17 14:44:28 exim 4.63 daemon started: pid=22202, -q1h, listening for SMTP on [127.0.0.1]:125
    2007-03-17 14:44:28 Start queue run: pid=22203
    2007-03-17 14:44:28 End queue run: pid=22203
    2007-03-17 14:44:28 socket bind() to port 125 for address 127.0.0.1 failed: Address already in use: waiting 30s before trying again (9 more tries)

Code:
    # Redirect MTA to port 125 to enable ASSP
    local_interfaces = 127.0.0.1
    daemon_smtp_ports = 125
    Code:
    2007-03-17 14:55:35 exim 4.63 daemon started: pid=23367, -q1h, listening for SMTP on [127.0.0.1]:125
    2007-03-17 14:55:35 Start queue run: pid=23368
    2007-03-17 14:55:35 End queue run: pid=23368

cpanel starts 2 versions of exim. one with ssl and one without. so we need to change only the smtp version. please update your addon to reflect the proper way configuring exim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.