Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

FREE ASSP X (ASSP eXtended - WHM addon with cPanel interface)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by ispro, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat-d-rat

Mat-d-rat Well-Known Member

I gave up after about the 15th force update... Gone to something that works. No offence but I've got a non working system little support and things to do. And I'm very happy with Deluxe and the support!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ps2wayne

ps2wayne Member

Is there a way to disable filters on all accounts. That way clients whom want to enable the spam filters they can do so when they want to. Instead of how it is now that all clients are enabled by default.

3. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member Verifed Vendor

ClamAV is being used by ASSP and ASSP X. You don't need to remove ClamAV and keep it installed.

ASSP is MAIL scanner and it may scan for viruses via third-party applications like ClamAV.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ispro

Especially for you the ability to do so is integrated to Maintaince section!

Not forget that doing so you will add all domains to spam_lovers lists (with exception to the special "invalid senders" spam lover file - it is not a filter) so if some of clients already chosen filter to be enabled they need to re-enable filters.
    Reason is simple - enabled means out of the list and it is impossible to decide why domain doesn't exist.

P.S. ASSP X 1.2.4 released:

• Bug fix: this release made for forced update to slightly changed cPanel interface symlink.
    • assp.cfg file gets updated to ASSP X defaults on ASSP reloads.
    • assp.cfg.override file is being compared with assp.cfg to keep override changes as minimal as possible.
    • Added option to disable all filters for all domains with ability to disable chosen filter via command line.

5. TDD

TDD Active Member

Any tips as to how to integrate ASSP X cpanel option with Ace/Sim skins or infact with any other theme?

6. monaghan

monaghan Well-Known Member

This would be good, I have just installed this on a cPanelXP themed box, so would like to be able to get this going with the XP theme.

7. monaghan

check for spam on abuse/postmaster addresses

More of an ASSP issue rather than APPS X...

Is it possible to get the abuse/postmaster addres? I have customers getting spams to their abuse address, this is being let straight through :(

8. ispro

I assume you have valid license for cPanelXP theme so you may forward request to their support. We have already contacted them and got a response but no real integration yet. Your requests, guys, may help this process drastically!

9. ispro

You may wish to take at look at these settings:

sendAllPostmaster:=postmaster@$hostname
    sendAllAbuse:=abuse@$hostname
    spamLovers:=postmaster|abuse

First two send copies of ALL emails sent to customers' domains abuse & postmaster addresses for legal purposes. Depending on your organization you may be in need to turn them off but adding the following to assp.cfg.override:
    sendAllPostmaster:=
    sendAllAbuse:=

Third options cause email addresses of postmaster & abuse to accept ALL mails with no filtering. You may replace them (e.g. add to assp.cfg.override) with postmaster@$hostname|abuse@$hostname where $hostname is your server hostname. In this case only emails sent to your server hostname postmaster & abuse addressed will be not filtered, your customers' postmaster & abuse emails WILL be filtered and only not spam will pass to them :)

P.S. We may consider adding this as ASSP X default because all errors state that delisting/etc. emails should be sent to postmaster at server hostname.

10. ps2wayne

ps2wayne Member

Hello,
    Does this work with RVSkin yet?

11. ispro

It is not yet integrated, but it works as we add necessary files to RVSkin.
    You may wish to submit request to RVSkin developers asking to integrate ASSP X.

12. TDD

TDD Active Member

Have installed on four servers for testing and its working great. Spam emails are almost nil and total elimination of image spam.

Hope ASSP X remains free with regular updates :)

13. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

14. monaghan

The thread is old and has replies in it which answer your question, don't really see what you hope to do be bringing it up

15. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

I just saw it today on WHT where someone else claimed to write part of the script.

16. ispro

You should already saw our responses on that. asspcheck script is completely rewritten in perl, it has no third party's part. That's is.

Enjoy!

P.S. ASSP X is currently used on ~60 servers! I believe the number will grow rapidly :)

17. boeki

boeki Active Member

afaik, the claim was not for part of main asspx script but for the script that checks if assp is running.

this has been corrected by ispro by removing the subject script and putting in his own perl script.

18. ispro

Yes, it is true. So I feel no further discussions on this matter is needed.

19. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For your information...

After testing ASSP we found out that you have to be careful using it on hosting servers. If an account has filters turned off, their mail is still processed by those "off" filters and the sender IP is still allocated a Penalty Box score. An IP can go into the Penalty Box Blacklist even though the recipient has all filters off.

Lets take an example where someone on your Server does not want to mess with teaching the Bayesian Filter - they turn it off. Mail coming to that domain still goes through the Bayesian Filter and the Bayesian Filter thinks it's SPAM (Remember Bayesian Filter hasn't been taught "what is spam" because the user turned it off). Because it's determined to be SPAM it's gets the appropriate Penalty Box score, eventually that sender IP goes into the Penalty Box blacklist and no more mail is received from them.

I have tried ASSP and this is the EXACT scenario that happened to me. Use ASSP at your own risk.

I also notice that any mail sent from an ISP automatically fails PTR check. Eventually people that send from ISP's would be PB Blacklisted too.

I also noticed Bombre marked email as spam because of a non-existent virus.

My personal opinion is that ASSP is very beta.

This post is not made to undermine people creating third party frontends, but to just give a heads up to server owners that don't spend the time checking to make sure software works properly. As a server owner myself, I would appreciate this warning.

20. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The workaround for this is to go into the web interface and then Penalty box and change the score to zero for each of the filters that your clients can turn off. Probably the only filters that should have a score would be:
    Failed Relay Attempt - block relay attempts
    Invalid Recipient - block dictionary attacks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.