Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

FREE ASSP X (ASSP eXtended - WHM addon with cPanel interface)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by ispro, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member Verifed Vendor

You may change "Scoring Interval" during which decided either to block IP or not. Actually it is not a problem for most servers, good IPs work well while just some specific situations may cause problems and require additional setup Penalty Box setup. It is also possible to set pbTestMode to 1 (e.g. Penalty Box to Test Mode) and no IPs will be rejected.

Anyway, thank you for warning, I will additionally check either domain listed at pb_spam_lover contribute to the Penalty Box...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ispro

P.S. While replying to you I have forgotten that with ASSP X one may put his domain(s) on Not Processed list. In this case this domain won't contribute to the Penalty Box and no emails will be denied. So, please, check this carefully and you will find that there are more possibilities to control emails flow than you have thought :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ispro

To your information ASSP X has ALL ASSP filters configurable via cPanel interface so customers may add their domains to Penalty Box spam lover list.

4. gotroot

gotroot Well-Known Member

Hi so far one major problem im seeing are all the spam messages being feed to the /spam directory but they are never being converted using /usr/local/assp/scripts/move2num.pl -r so those messages that are not converted to numbers are piling up. I looked at your cron jobs and there is nothing there that executes it. Note, the default setting in ASSP is set to report based on subject not number so assp never picks it up for processing. Please note, there is nothing in ASSP that will convert it. Its must be converted by running move2num manually after testing is over and if you know ASSP you need to turn that check mark off in the config but most people dont know its there.

Thank you.

#84 gotroot, Mar 29, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. gotroot

Thats correct but i dont see why this is a problem. Load up ASSP and select the Penalty option and set all scores to ZERO.
    Ahh but this is one thing you dont want to enable. Bayesian filters with ASSP dont work that great. On our servers they are turned off at the ASSP config level. Then, its never used for lookups.

You will need to test ASSP on your server to determine what you want. If you dont want something on, turn it off in the ASSP config by load it from the port you have it configured then its not used. Just dont reload the default config from the ASSPX option othewise all options get set back to default.

Its the best spam solution out there. You just need to work with it. And dont use Bayes.

Good luck.

6. gotroot

Another thing i would like to see;

REQUEST: While its nice to disable all filter for users there would be a BIG advantage to allow the admin to require certain filters to run all the time and something users could not turn off.

For eg, one of the best functions of ASSP is the ability to delay, greylisting. Another is URILB looks. If for example i wanted to ensure that both these items were ON for everyone by default then users could not turn them on or off and would be forced to have it enabled on their accounts.

Likewise, the admin should have the ability to control this from WHM.

Thank you.

7. gotroot

Our installation of ASSP is custom. We did it ouselves over a course of a few months on all our FreeBSD boxes. We have been running ASSP for over 6 months btw. One thing we see in our logs is this on the hours is this;

Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving whitelist
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving redlist
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving delaying records
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving penalty records
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving cache records
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Cleaning up delaying databases ...
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Cleaning delaying database (triplets) finished; keys before=344, deleted=18
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Cleaning delaying database (whitelisted tuplets) finished; keys before=367, deleted=0
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving penalty records
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Saving cache records
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Cleaning penalty records...
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 PB: cleaning black finished; IPs before=503, deleted=13
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 Cleaning cache records...
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 RBLCache: cleaning cache finished; IPs before=8, deleted=1
    Mar-29-07 04:00:58 URIBLCache: cleaning cache finished; Domains before=163, deleted=0

But, we do not see this when its installed via your module on a cPanel server so my question is, how is this handled? This is a very important cleanup thats supposed to execute on the hour. I dont see any evidance of it when installed as a cPanel module.

8. TDD

TDD Active Member

in WHM interface if we use "Disable filters for all domains" and then if we wish to enable all filters for all domains then how to it?

Any idea?

9. gotroot

Have you check this? Its possible that there is a big fat bug in ASSP. I mean, we did a test and placed all users in the non process list. The end results is.

Scores are still being added
    RBL checks are still being performed
    SPF and no MX/A record checks are still being checked
    Bayesian still being reported even after we turned it off in the config

I dont think the no process list is working properly. It should be reporting, user is spam lover and pass the message on without any checking.

10. ispro

just empty all /usr/local/assp/rules/*_spam_lover files and you enable filters (if they are allowed, of course!).

11. ispro

Could you PM me with EXACT entry from notprocess list and the part of maillog.txt?
    It may be the bug with ASSP so it would be interested to verify.

12. Interdit

Interdit Well-Known Member

Hello,

Working great so far after a few try to get port 26 working. For now, I don't know if it's blocking good emails, we will see.

Only problem, exim is failing/restarting every ten minutes. Moreover in my service manager I have two exim, one green, one red.
    exim- failed @ Fri Mar 30 16:18:40 2007. A restart was attempted automagicly.

Ready to support or beta test if needed.

Best regards,
    Francois

#92 Interdit, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  13. ispro

First of all you need to login to WHM and go to Service Manager. Then find out the "exim on another port", UNCHECK boxes and remove port 26. Click Save.

It is the first part.

Second part is to replace default ASSP X secondary port 2525 to port 26. Edit the file /usr/local/assp/assp.cfg.override and add single line:
    listenPort2:=26

Now RESTART Exim and RESTART ASSP.

You are done.

P.S. Feature to set secondary port via ASSP X is in the process. Then steps will be automated.

14. Interdit

Hello,

The checkboxes were already unchecked but resaving the settings did fix that :)

Will try to learn how it does work now.

Nice weekend,
    Thanks,

Francois

15. ispro

Long awaiting ASSP X 1.2.6 released!

There is changelog, it is huge :)

• BUG: Fixed versions check. Now ASSP X correctly compare versions and update if really needed.
    • ENHANCEMENT: fhValencePB (Forged HELO score) option changed to 50 (from 200) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: scriptValencePB (Script Expression score) option changed to 5 (from 0) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: bombValencePB (Bomb Expression score) option changed to 5 (from 0) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: baysValencePB (Bayesian score) option changed to 5 (from 0) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: PenaltyLimit (Penalty Treshold) option changed to 75 (from 50) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: PenaltyExtreme (Penalty Extreme Treshold) option changed to 200 (from 150) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: spfsValencePB (SPF Softfail score) option changed to 0 (from 5) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: spfnValencePB (SPF Neutral score) option changed to 0 (from 5) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: useHeloBlacklist (Using HELO blacklist) option changed to 3 (from 0) as default.
    • ENHANCEMENT: Perl installer set back to /scripts/perlinstaller until we create own CPAN installer to install on cPanel DNSONLY.
    • ENHANCEMENT: Script asspmailperm rewritten with improved functionality as we found it may not work in some cases.
    • ENHANCEMENT: Cronjob changed to reflect sh->perl change of asspmailperm script and old maillog.txt files removal.
    • ENHANCEMENT: ASSP updated to 1.3.1.31.
    • FEATURE: Added new option baysSpamLoversRed.
    • FEATURE: Option sendHamRec replaced with two new options sendHamInbound & sendHamOutbound.
    • FEATURE: Option ccArchivAddresses replaced with new option ccHamAddresses.
    • FEATURE: Option ccArchivModeRec replaced with two new options ccHamInbound & ccHamOutbound.
    • FEATURE: Option HeaderMaxRelay renamed to HeaderMaxLocal.
    • FEATURE: Option dnsbl removed as obsolete.
    • FEATURE: Added new option NoAutoWhite.
    • FEATURE: Added new option NoScanRe with new file at /usr/local/assp/rules/assp_noscan.txt.
    • BUG: Disabled assp.cfg options should have empty value instead of 0, default values updated.
    • FEATURE: Changelog will have visible parts like BUG/FEATURE/ENHANCEMENT for faster recognition.
    • FEATURE: Added ability to track "exim on another port" and notify.
    • FEATURE: Added option to change ASSP secondary listen port.
    • ENHANCEMENT: ASSP network options functions organized better with less if/elsif, install file got Switch.pm dependency install.
    • FEATURE: ASSP X postupcp script update Mailman configuration to allow Mailman send emails directly to new Exim port.
    • ENHANCEMENT: ASSP logs moved to /usr/local/assp/logs according to what developers done in their release.
    • FEATURE: Added ability to put filters/checks to enable/disable/test/notest modes.

Enjoy of the best!

16. Interdit

The upgrade went just fine, great job.

Francois

17. gotroot

The upgrade really screws up the existing filters set on all users domains.

Has anyone looked? We have about 5 default filters set for all sites. After the upgrade they were all enabled so once again we had to go though and empty out all the spam lover files in order to enable 5 filters across all domains.

Also, there seems to be some logic problem. If you disable say Bayesian in the admin option the users can still see Bayesian filters but they cant enable them. What is the pupose of showing disabled filters to the users?

Will there be a better upgrade for existing users settings? We dont want to distrub user filter settings everytime we do an upgrade.

18. gotroot

Is there any documentation?

There are quite a few options in the admin section im not sure about. For eg, if we make changes to the ASSP config settings then which option in the WHM option will reset those options back to default? Is it the reload option?

If the cpanel interface has already been installed, is there a way to hide it so people dont go around clicking on this button for no reason.

If the exim config is set, is there a way to hide this button?

If the default settings have already been set (TURN OFF ALL FILTERS) is there a way to prevent accidental PRESS of the button?

19. gotroot

There seems to be a big GAP in the Network Settings theme after the additional port option, since the last update. I would have thought that ASSP fixed this but i see it on many installations. Anyone reported it too them?

20. ambrish

ambrish Member

Mail list

I am also using ASSP X.But i have problem with mailing list.
    when i send mail to mailing list it not received by users & there is no bounced message.
    Anyone !!!
    How can i fix it???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.