The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robertas, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Robertas

Robertas Registered

Where can I get a dedicated server for free for a month? Or if someone can give me a dedicated server for a month or more.

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

You can't is the simple answer. The complicated answer is because this is spam and hack bait.

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Why would someone give a dedicated server for free for a month? The only way you'd ever see something like that is if it was maybe 1st month free with a 1 year contract.

If you just want a server to try out, there are many places where you can get one for under $100/month, even close to $50.

4. parasane

parasane Well-Known Member

Or go VDS....

If you're just looking for the experience without the requirements, responsibilities, costs, and headache involved, why not try VDS/VPS (Virtual Dedicated Servers/Virtual Private Servers)? Most are using UML (User-Mode Linux) which is very stable and reliable. There are a ton of providers out there for about $30-40 per month, but for both cost and service, I would personally recommend http://www.pdxcolo.net/. I had my site there while waiting to relocate my actual box across the country, and wound up staying for another two months because the guys are nuts with support. They were $20/mo. when I left, and I had 1GB plus the standard resources for the allotment. What's nice about their setup is the one-click distro installation. I used Redhat because that's what my .tgz backup was ready to roll out to, but they also had Debian (Woody, I think) and Gentoo, not to mention three or four different kernels to install automatically.

They're just one of a few, though. The thing is, I don't mind gushing about them because of how well they treated me.