The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Webmails to use with cpanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Rafaelfpviana, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Rafaelfpviana

Rafaelfpviana Well-Known Member

Hello again.

I'm having problems with Horde (uses up too much memory) and I'm looking for alternatives of webmails to use on my servers.

I'm going to list here some of the ones that I know and the one cpanel uses (which are completely ot of the questiong, they suck!)

Cpanels webmails
    1. Horde
    2. Neomail
    3. Squirrelmail

Some free webmail that i know

1. Roundcubemail - beta!
    (very nice and clean webmail, but not so good with IE and it starts messing up if there are too much e-mails to be read)
    2. Uebimiau
    (works fine, but from what i've seen it writes up configuration files in the server for every user, so it would have to be modified to work in a multi user server)

Well, thats pretty much it.

If you know any other webmail plese provide the name, url and a personal comment.

Also, if some one has used any of these, or other webmail that others might post here please provide us with your personal experience, as server admin.

Thanks for all.

2. Rafaelfpviana

Rafaelfpviana Well-Known Member

anyone

Hello, anyone knows?

3. janiosarmento

janiosarmento Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I got Uebimiau to work

Well, in fact a friend/customer of mine did the magic with some support from me. We made Uebimiau to work as an alternative webmail.

The steps are seemingly the following (not a how-to, or a tutorial, just what I can remember).

1. Install the program in a place every customer can make requires (I choosed /usr/local/lib/php/uebimiau, not sure it is the best location).
    2. Modify the configuration file to ask the entire e-mail address as login (in fact, we made another trick, finding from the URL what is the customer server).
    3. Modify the skeleton directory of your accounts to include a symlink (I named it mail) into public_html, pointing to the physical installation of Eubimiau.
    4. Don't forget to double check permissions, majorly on the database directory.

If you want to check out the scripts working, take a look at http://www.portofacil.com.br/mail and http://www.datatraining.com.br/mail. it is exactly the same set of scripts running in different locations. Since portofacil.com.br is an addon domain for portohost.com.br, you'll see that the logon automatically changes to the correct domain name.

I must finish telling you that Uebimiau sucks for a hosting business, because it is POP, and it cannot take control of disk quotas (it has a predefined set inside the script, you can change, but it overpasses the mailbox settings). I think Squirrel is still the best webmail for WHM.

If you want to talk in Portuguese, directly with me, I'm sure you'll be able to find my address! ;-)

Janio Sarmento
    www.portofacil.com.br

4. Drew Nichols

Drew Nichols Well-Known Member

I am demoing atmail right now, but it seems slow too. Plus, it will be like $500 to get it on the server.

5. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

wow! $500 is a lot of money. If I were you, I would install a standalone squirrelmail. I found it to be very fast and stable with lots of addon modules. The problem is that it's integration with cpanel's bad email system that require different port is messy. If you could make it standalone without requiring ports and logon to cpanel then it would be a great FREE webmail.

6. janiosarmento

janiosarmento Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Squirrel again

In fact, if we were able to upgrade and expand the original Squirrel Mail, it would be great.

I'm going to try a new approach with Squirrel, perhaps there is something I can do... ;)

7. Drew Nichols

Is the current version out there better than the SM that comes with cPanel? Much better? Ajax? :D

Atmail is nice, but in my tests it seems slow. I intentionally put it on a P3 PowerEdge since I was the only testing user, and it just took too long and a *single user* ran the load from a solid 0.00 to 0.60

Drew

8. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

seriously, at $500 would you really buy atmail if it suits you?

9. Drew Nichols

Absolutely - but it doesn't because it seems slow. Scalix seems much nicer and when all is said and done is similar in price.

I just think that mail is becoming more important to end users and is falling behind in cPanel - though I have faith it will pick up.

10. roopesh

roopesh Member

Were you able to get Scalix running on your cPanel server? I'm trying to figure out how to do that...

11. Drew Nichols

No chance. We set it up on VPS's (same server, different OS) and use MX entries.

It installs its own Tomcat/JSP/Apache, etc. It could be hacked but even then it's too intensive to run side by side with cPanel.

Drew

12. roopesh

roopesh Member

Hmmm... interesting idea... take a dedicated server and break it down into multiple VPS... one to run cPanel and another to run Scalix...

Do you know where I can learn more about setting that up?

Thanks for the direction, Drew!

13. Drew Nichols

I'm doing it now using Virtuozzo.

14. rizalmhm

rizalmhm Member

Install Roundcube on cPanel

Hi there...

I've found some guide on other website..

15. hmm

hmm Well-Known Member

16. hm2k

hm2k Well-Known Member

I'm looking at setting up Scalix on my cpanel server, I guess from this it can't be done easily.

And as a side note, related to the topic, it would be nice to see Neomail replaced by Openwebmail instead.

17. roopesh

roopesh Member

It may become easier once Apache 2.x is available in cPanel. I was able to get exim turned off, but couldn't proceed without Apache 2.x.

18. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

this is a little offtopic but anyone knows why cpanel need to use PORTS for webmail access? What's the rationale of using ports? Why can't they make it an option for users to use port 80 instead?

19. roopesh

roopesh Member

IMHO there's no good reason. Luckily, you have a few options around this...

1) Use http://www.cpanelproxy.net to allow access to port 80 access to webmail. (This can also provide access to whm and cpanel interfaces)

2) Install your own instance of a webmail to use (SquirrelMail, Roundcube, Horde, IlohaMail, etc.)

3) Use apache's mod_proxy and proxy the connection from port 80 to the webmail port. (This can also provide access to whm and cpanel interfaces)

Good luck!

20. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

I know the solutions. I think any admins running a cpanel servers with email services would encounter this problems. If I am not mistaken, there is even a feature request for this from users to cpanel. But this problem seems to be not taken seriously just like apache 2 support problem.

And you missed fourth solution.

4) Using horde-bridge with http port 80 to access horde through localhost. <--- the method I am using right now.