The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD 4.9 and latest cPanel freezes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eisman, May 6, 2004.

1. eisman

eisman Member

After installing a clean FreeBSD system and the latest cPanel the server just freezes up. I can't ssh into it, can't access WHM, but I can ping it. If I hard reboot it I start to get errors on the console. Different services failing to start, it's normally not the same service each reboot. It hangs on starting ProFTPD too, I have to hit Ctrl-C to get to the login prompt.

I thought it was something I was doing at 1st, or the machine that was bad. I've now tried it on 2 machines myself and my Datacenter did it on one of my servers. It's the same symptoms on all 3. All I am doing is doing a clean install of FreeBSD 4.9, recomping the kernel for quota support, ln -s the home directory to /usr/home, and then wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest; sh latest.

I can make it into WHM after the post install reboot, but once the box is rebooted again I can't get back in.

If anyone else having this trouble, or am I doing something consistantly wrong?

2. dandanfireman

dandanfireman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Check the rc.conf we had part of ours go missing mysteriously at one point.

#2 dandanfireman, May 6, 2004
    Last edited: May 6, 2004
  3. eisman

eisman Member

Thanks for the suggestion, rc.conf is fine.