The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD 5.4 + CPANEL = kernel panics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by openaccess, Jul 21, 2006.

1. openaccess

openaccess Active Member

Hi,

We are going through hell. We have 40+ FreeBSD boxes in the field, and only two that run CPANEL.

The two CPANEL boxes as load has increased now kernel panic about once a week.

I am an experienced FreeBSD administrator and have tweaked every sysctl, SMP/UNI kernsl only, and tried about every variation and flavor of things that I can think of on these boxes. I have also read about everything I could find in these forums and elsewhere, and and still stumped. This has been going on for about six weeks now since we moved about 40 more domains onto each box (about 200 domains each). Boxes show totally normal load averages, memory, etc. All are SNMP monitored closely.

Are there any known issues with CPANEL and FreeBSD 5.4 that could be causing us these headaches?

Both boxes have other identical hardware platforms deployed with FBSD5.4 with far higher loads without CPANEL and run fine, most with over a year of uptime now.

Our kernels are generic with the following added. They are also usually cvs-upped to the latest security patch releases.

Again, other identical hardware runs with well over a year uptime, and these are all RAID5 boxes with dual CPU and 2-4GB of RAM.

# MFD 050509 - Our extra ethernet protocols and devices
    device carp #Common Address Redundancy Protocol
    device gif #IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
    device gre #IP over IP tunneling
    device vlan #VLAN support (needs miibus)

# MFD 050509 - Hardware crypto support
    device crypto # core crypto support
    device cryptodev # /dev/crypto for access to h/w
    device rndtest # FIPS 140-2 entropy tester
    device hifn # Hifn 7951, 7781, etc.
    device ubsec # Broadcom 5501, 5601, 58xx

# MFS 050509 - OpenBSD PF support
    device pf #PF OpenBSD packet-filter firewall
    device pflog #logging support interface for PF
    device pfsync #synchronization interface for PF