The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD 6.0 and 6.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lomag, May 26, 2006.

1. Lomag

Lomag Registered
    PartnerNOC

Hey Guys,

Any idea when cPanel will officially support the FreeBSD 6.x branch? I'm waiting on this to do upgrades from 5.4 to 6.1. Seeing that 5.x is pretty much as dead as 4.x with the final release of 5.5 it really needs to be soon.

I tried a search as I'm sure this was asked before but couldn't find anything.

Mark

2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Asking here is pretty pointless as it will go unheard by Cpanel Devs. I suggest that you post a request for it in Bugzilla so we can all back you up. With all the problems we are having with 5.4 im not sure if i would be brave enough to upgrade to 6.0 & 6.1 even it if was released. I think we have logged about 15 tickets regarding all the issues with FreeBSD under cPanel in less than 1 month due to all the issues we have experienced.

Please log a request.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

This brings up a very important question for ALL of us using older versions of Freebsd. What version do we upgrade to ?.

I was using Freebsd 4.7 for the past couple years and quietly the Cpanel team dumped support for it. Many version of the 4.x and 5.x Freebsd have had support pulled without notice. Now that they have not made any support for 6.0 and 6.1 what are we supposed to upgrade to ?. I am still running 4.7 on one of my boxes and would really like to go to 5.4 or 6.1 but reading all the problems with Cpanel supporting 5.4 and nothing for 6.x I am concerned we are slowly losing all support for Freebsd.

I don't think its a Freebsd issue as it works perfectly without Cpanel, rather I think that Freebsd is very different from the various Linux's and they just dont want to put that much work into supporting Freebsd if they can avoid it.

:(

4. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Freebsd is a superior OS compared to RH without cPanel in my opinion. Its sad to see there is such little support for it. I'm running it on a couple of Dual Opteron dual SCSI servers and the performance of these servers are out of this world. With over 250 websites per box I'v never seen the load go above 1.0 even during 4am. With that said, i could bet that if i placed a version of RH on the same hardware i would still see the FreeBSD outperform the RH OS.

I guess cpanel just likes to say they support so many different platforms just to say that they do for business purposes but in reality, its not supported very well. A shame really.

5. mrcpu

mrcpu Member

Hmmm. I've *only* ever run FreeBSD and cpanel, and except for 1 ticket, haven't had any problems at all. But I was a long time FreeBSD admin long before using cpanel, so perhaps
    that's related.

I do not understand your concern about FreeBSD5.5 and needing to upgrade. the 5.5 series
    will be usable for many, many years. Until last year when I left the ISP I was working at,
    we had servers running FreeBSD 2.2.8 from what, '97? No reason to upgrade, just fix
    the security holes, make sure the thing was locked down with a good firewall.

In short, I wouldn't go upgrading just for ugprading's sake. Although with that said,
    within a major series, I do like to run the latest release, but that's just me...

6. nyjimbo

I think you might be missing my point. First off the 5.x branch is done, there will be NO MORE future releases of the 4.x or 5.x branches (except some secutiry patches). EOL on the 5.x series is early 2008, which is about a year and a half from now. Cpanel keeps dropping support for the 4.x and 5.x series and if they are not already supporting the 6.x will they support the 5.5 ?. Have you been through the ugly experience of seeing one of the Freebsd version suddenly lose support?, I have and it leaves you with the need to upgrade or you DO NOT get support for big problems.

I've been using BSDI/FREEBSD since 1992 and am very familiar with it but you have little control of a Cpanel system because they control what goes in and gets updated. Bypass the Cpanel installs and updates and you are on your own. So it's not an issue of Freebsd's older versions being stable, its what will Cpanel do with support and when are you going to be forced to upgrade to the next version. If you do, what version will they support and will they suddenly drop it 6 months later ?

7. Lomag

Lomag Registered
    PartnerNOC

I've not had any particular problems with cPanel and FreeBSD other than the backup system which always seems to be not working properly. There was some serious issues a year or two ago but those have all been resolved it seems. I don't exactly understand why it's so difficult to support "newer" versions. Oh well I guess we'll just keep waiting.

8. tap

tap Member

I have frebsd 6.0 box with cpanel installed and everything is working properly..

9. nyjimbo

Perhaps, but it's still not supported. The first day something really important breaks in your system do you think Cpanel will kill themselves to fix it if its still not a supported version ?.