The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD and bandmin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nameless, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless Member

Feb 25, 2003
    I have server with installed FreeBSD and CPanel. I also want to see how we are use our trafik. Our ISP don't provide for us consuption of trafik, so i tried to install bandmin to my server. But by default, bandmin doesn't support FreeBSD and therefore i made some modifications on it and add support for ipfw. Modified version can be downloaded here:
    How to install.

WARNING! This is not original version of bandmin. I do some modifications with it, and i'm not sure
    that it will works on the LINUX systems(i don't check it), for LINUX systems, use please bandmin
    from CPanel distributions.

1. Unpack bandmin into /usr/local/bandmin. If you unpack it to another place,then you should change
    all paths in its files(, bandminstop, etc.) to yours.

2. You should recompile your kernel with ipfw support. Add these options to your kernel and
    recompile it as described in handbook.
    options IPFIREWALL #firewall
    options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE #enable logging to syslogd(8)
    options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT #allow everything by default

If you are not familiar with firewall in FreeBSD use default for accept options. Otherwise, if
    you setup incorrect rules for ipfw, after enabling it you can't login to your server.

3. After recompiling and installing new kernel, enable ipfw in rc.conf file. Edit /etc/rc.conf and
    add these lines:

Create file /etc/firewall and add to it your rules. By default, ipfw add rules through 100. I use
    /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any via lo0
    /sbin/ipfw add deny all from any to
    /sbin/ipfw add deny ip from to any
    /sbin/ipfw add reject tcp from any to any 113
    # other your rules..
    # rules with number 1 and 1500 is used by bandmin. Don't use these numbers.

/sbin/ipfw add 5000 pass all from xx.xx.xx.xx to me
    /sbin/ipfw add 5100 pass all from me to xx.xx.xx.xx
    /sbin/ipfw add 65500 drop log all from any to any

First rule(pass all from any to any via lo0) will has number 100, second rule(deny all from any to will has number 200, etc. Rules with number 1,1500 is used by bandmin, but you can
    change these values. Replace xx.xx.xx.xx with your real IP address(with address wich you use for
    login to SSH and WHM).
    4. Go to /usr/local/bandmin/IP and edit file You should setup correct value for
    $IFACE(outgoing interface for your server, can be fxp0, rl1, sis0, de0 etc.), and setup correct
    value for $MYIP(outgoing IP address for your server).

5. Edit /usr/local/bandmin/services.conf and add or remove used/unused services.

6. Copy to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and change permissions on it to 755:
    chmod 755

7. Add line:
    Alias /bandwidth/ /usr/local/bandmin/htdocs/
    to your httpd.conf file

8. Run cron_install script. It add some commands to crontab

9. After this, you can reboot server with new kernel. After rebooting, open in your browser this

there you can see trafik for your server.
    I test it on my FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p1. Can anybody compare bandmin results with hardware trafik counter?
    Be carefull when install it, probably i forget describe something :rolleyes: and sorry for my english :)
  2. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Is there a bandmin equivalent for FreeBSD that works on a Cpanel box?
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member

Feb 25, 2003
    It's bandmin with some modifications, which allow it run under FreeBSD.