The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD and cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by echo_bg, Jul 13, 2005.

1. echo_bg

echo_bg Active Member

Hi all,

I am new in using cPanel and WHM along with FreeBSD OS. If there are any other users of FreeBSD and cPanel/WHM - will be glad to exchange experience. Please if you want just identify yourself in here by answering to this post.

Regards to you all

Evgeny Ivanov

2. mosthost

mosthost Member

I use freebsd and cpanel :)

3. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

It works fine with FreeBSD, occassional bugs here and there but in general it works perfectly fine.

4. mosthost

mosthost Member

I had cpanel working on freebsd5.3 but I've just brought 2 new harddrives and wanted to do a fresh install using freebsd5.4

So far I've not been able to get it working. I've been using the search on this forum to try and help me out but surely it should work straight out the box with a fresh install?

I've had bind errors, eximstats, mysql, apache.

I've got a dell poweredge 6450 server and I'm running:

WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82
    FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE i386 - WHM X v3.1.0

5. dcpr

dcpr Active Member

hi

Hi
    I have FreeBSD 5.3 and cpanel/whm. All is fine but i have a few problems when i buy the server with bind and named. But i buy support and now when i have problems they fix it for me.

6. echo_bg

echo_bg Active Member

It is nice

Tha all you people are using it. I was wondering if we can work together and share experience.
    What we are using is FreeBSD 5.3 and cPanel on 1 machine that has a 4 SATA Disks in RAID1.

What we are doing is a back office for maintenance and billing all cPanel users, along with contol panel for managing and registering domains and trouble ticket system.

I will keep you updated for all BUGs and issues that we have using cPanel and FreeBSD. Will be nice if you guys do the same.

Regards to you all

Evgeny Ivanov
    InfoDataCenter

7. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Echo_bg, I came across your post, and would definitely like to compare experience w/ you regarding cpanel and freebsd. How was the install on 5.3? Did you have to do the same tweaks and install work arounds that I did http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=41588 ???
    From what I have heard so far, 5.3 was a lot more 'plug and play' with respect to the install than 5.4 currently is. I would be most appreciative to hear any advice you have regarding this software pair, and any potential pitfalls that you have encountered that I may not yet have. Also, I am interested in how you chose to implement system security, which is cleary a very important point to both me and my clients. Thanks!