The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD + cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ob-1, May 17, 2003.

1. ob-1

ob-1 Member

Hey, I've just got a couple of quick questions regarding cPanel on FreeBSD and if anyone could help me out it would really help me to decide which CP package i should go with for my upcomming server purchase.

1) Am i locked into specific software versions with cPanel? for example if a new version of SSH is released can i safely upgrade to it without breaking my CP or do i have to wait for a cPanel release of the software?

2) Do the cPanel updates work OK in FreeBSD?

3) I've noticed alot of threads on here about cPanel being unstable of FreeBSD the vast majority of the threads are extremly old, can i get some opinions on some recent fresh installs

4) will a traditional chroot bind/named chroot work with cPanel? Will an apache chroot with with cPanel?

5) does a make buildworld/install world break cPanel installations?

6) other than mounting needing /tmp mounted with exec permissions is there any other file systems/partition "gotchas" i should look out for? maybe like the kernsecure levels?

I think thats about it. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated ( i'd really like to hear from the cPanel staff on some of the more hard core issues such as the kernel secure levels )

#1 ob-1, May 17, 2003
    Last edited: May 17, 2003
  2. ob-1

ob-1 Member

noone knows the answers to any of these questions? :\

3. p5

p5 Registered

1. locked only into the software cpanel installs, exim and the ftp server pretty much

2. updates work well

3. 10+ machines running it here, no problems so far.

4. not sure on the chroot, I am sure with tweaking it can be done without issues.

5. nope

6. none that I have seen, and I have installed all the cp bsd machines

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

4. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

i dont think it would break it. The only reason the company i work is waiting is because we would like cPanel to come out with a version for FreeBSD 5.0/5.1 since now its only on the 4.x branch, and that one is gonna be outdated in a few months.

For the rest, we have had trouble with BSD and Cpanel, but most issues were bugs in cPanel.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: