The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD & Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by philb, Mar 5, 2004.

1. philb

philb Well-Known Member

So, despite my better judgement, and on the advice of everyone I ever spoke to and the handbook, I ended up doing a whole bloody buildworld etc during my upgrade to try to get onto a version of the freebsd kernel without the bug in.

Except of course that's nicely broken lots of cpanel stuff. spamd's stopped working, and /scripts/upcp seems unable to install dbi (for perl - I saw it whinging I'm on perl 5.0053 instead of 5.006) and gd.

I've tried removing the cpanel directory and upcp'ing from scratch, it's still broken. Have I inadvertently regressed my FreeBSD box to stable instead of release or something similar? Is there such a thing as a release source tree in FBSD?

2. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

STABLE is more leading edge than RELEASE, thus your perl version should not have gone back to an old one.

I dont know what system this is, 5.x or 4.x, but your best bet is to compile perl from the ports tree, and follow the instructions to make it the standard perl.

There are different sources you can download, but first and foremoste, what does your sup-file look like?

What version's source did you get? And was it -STABLE, or -RELEASE, or even -CURRENT (really bad).

Just a bit of info for you, -RELEASE is older and more mature than -STABLE. Contrary to what most poeple believe. -CURRENT is absolutely leading edge. -STABLE contains patches and code that was shown to be stable in -CURRENT, and was moved into -STABLE.

For 5.x there is no -STABLE branch yet, so the only one you could have gotten is -RELEASE or -CURRENT.

For 4.x there is -STABLE, -RELEASE, and -CURRENT.

Now, here is an example cvsup file:

Code:
    *default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
    *default base=/usr
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_9
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    *default compress
    src-all
    If put into a file, and then using cvsup, i could download the entire source to /usr/src.

If i wanted 5.2.1 i would replace RELENG_4_9 with RELENG_5_2_1. Do note that unless you know what you are doing that you do not go from 4.x to 5.x. A lot of things can go wrong.

I hope this helps.

3. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Shuld think the wasy way to update Perl is to do a update of whm? Did you try it?

Just be aware that it Perl tends to dump a 90 MB core dump to /root after WHM has done it thing - so I your /root has less then a 100 MB I suggest moving /root to /var/root and symlink it.

4. philb

philb Well-Known Member

Ok, before anyone else wastes their time posting (thanks for your input though, guys) - I've had the machine formatted and RHE installed. I simply can't have the whole damn thing fall apart during a routine upgrade.

In other news - if its core dumping, it's broken. Like a lot of other things in cpanel, I guess. But we could sit here all night discussing that.