The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD installation assistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dandanfireman, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dandanfireman

dandanfireman Well-Known Member

May 31, 2002
    I am preparing to begin testing with freebsd as our chosen OS in place of linux for our cpanel boxes. I currently have a test FreeBSD box with one of the favored data centers.

However, my new Dell should arrive soon and I was looking for some opinions on installation options, version information and partition layouts.

1. Installation options. I recall for linux, the basic installation proceedure was to install almost nothing and let the cpanel installer do the rest. Is this still applicable with freebsd?

2. The server I will be installing on will be a Dual Xeon with HT server. Should I be looking at 5.1? Is there enough reason with SMP advances to make 5.x worthwhile?

3. I have read the handbook recommendation on disk layout and partitions. The recommendation is to put everything under /usr. This would also force /usr/home to be where users install their data. However, I see that some of cpanel's scripts still expect /home to be the place. What are you doing?

Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. JoehBloeh

JoehBloeh Member

Oct 22, 2003

I've always been a big fan of FreeBSD, though pretty new to Cpanel on FreeBSD.

1. Installation options.
    When I do an install, I choose the "Express" option. It'll ask you for disk layout, just type "a" for auto. That's fine for 90% of setups. Do the same for "Slice", and it'll use the whole disk. (Don't do that if you want to dual-boot!)

Also, unless you want to dual boot, don't install the boot manager.

For type of install: For a server that you don't need X on, do a "User" install. I usually install the ports (It'll prompt you).

Then reboot, and run /stand/sysinstall (the installer/management app) and go Configure-> Packages -> FTP and it'll prompt you to setup your network settings. Then it'll download the package list (packages in FreeBSD are like centrally controlled RPMs) and let you install. From here I install shells/Bash2.05, net/cvsup-without-gui, and sysutils/portupgrade.

Then check the handbook to setup CVS, and do a cvsup for your ports tree. That'll get you the latest version of the ports. (Ports are skeletons of sources - it downloads the sources and builds them for you.) The cvsup takes me 30 minutes on a T1.

From there you can use portupgrade to install your apps easy-as-pie. There are plenty of articles on the web about how to use that...

Fortunately Cpanel for Freebsd takes that into account, and I had no problems migrating from redhat's /home to FreeBSD's /usr/home. Though for simplicity, I just made a softlink from /home that pointed to /usr/home.

PM me if you have more questions!
  3. vahan

vahan Active Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Go with FreeBSD 5.2, and don't forget to enable sshd, it's disabled by default in 5.x. Upgrading to latest perl also is recommended.