The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by serg, Feb 15, 2007.

1. serg

serg Member

I'm running cPanel 10.9.0-R118 on FreeBSD 4.11 and following things make me crazy...

1. NAMED

a) Named started by FreeBSD if named_enable set to "YES", as well it is also started by script named.sh placed into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ by CPanel. Therefore it starts twice (on startup) and the second one complains that it couldn't bind ports to messages log:
    In other hand if I set named_enable to "NO" then FreeBSD won't start it and the only one will be running after reboot started by named.sh script (as it doesn't check for named_enable value). However CPanel will yells
    b) cPanel named.sh scripts starts named as
    and it wants the pid file placed to /var/run/named.pid instead of correct one /var/run/named/pid
    User bind should have permissions to write to the directory /var/run otherwise it won't be able to put/delete pid file /var/run/named.pid there and named will not start for that reason.

Is it so difficult to set up everything correctly for named?

2. Jailed SSH

Seems like recent cPanel update broke it, at least it stop to work and I didn't yet found what is wrong there...
    I receive following once login to jailed ssh account:
    the jailshell binary was last modified at the time I upgrade to the latest release. So I assume that it was broken due to upgrade. Does anyone know how to fix that?

2. Giest

Giest Member

Same problem with my FreeBSD 4.11.

Any help?

3. ck@phptalk

ck@phptalk Active Member

I can confirm this problem. Jailshell has problems, it immediately closes the connection.

Thanks in advance if someone has any advice.

Regards,

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Try adding these to your rc.conf file

named_flags="-u bind -c /etc/namedb/named.conf" << or change to the path of your named.conf file
    named_program="/usr/sbin/named"

Then restart bind.

You should really upgrade your OS as cpanel does not support 4.11 and your running a insecure version of FREEBSD.

Thanks

#4 easyhoster1, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. serg

serg Member

Yep, I already had both settings. The problem is that named will be started TWICE at reboot time. One will be started by FreeBSD because of named_enable="YES", the second will be started by cpanel script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020named.sh

You are right, 4.11 is missed from the supported OS list, however I don't remember is the were any warnings at installation time about that. Let's don't discuss FreeBSD 4.11 vulnerabilities here as it absolutely not related to cPanel ;)
    In my opinion jailed shell tries to find libtool directory for exaple with proper version number or something similar to it and I wouldn't guess if all 4.X versions have the same problem now.

6. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

We have the problem with FreeBSD and cPanel across all versions of FreeBSD and named starting, even if it’s all disabled in cPanel. If you don’t want bind running move the start up script.

7. calande2

calande2 Well-Known Member

So it's not a good idea to use FreeBSD and cPanel together, is it? :(

8. JamesSmith

We run many FreeBSD servers with cPanel and apart from the odd problem, it mostly works fine. You quickly learn to leave cPanel alone if it’s working, whatever OS you're running.

9. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We recently fixed some nasty problems with jailshell on all FreeBSD platforms. I don't know if the fixes are in all builds, or just EDGE ones. But the fixes resolve these issues:

1. When user tries to login, the motd is displayed then the connection is dropped (user logged out)

2. Similar to #1, except the connection "hangs" - the user is not logged out, they just never receive a promopt, required manually killing to resolve.

3. Annoying error about attempting to stat(_) a file is no longer occurring

4. Improper handling of some versions of 5+ (and 6+) in ifdefs resulting in the wrong headers being included

5. Some 64bit only fixes with pointer handling

6. probably others I cannot call to mind right now

We tested these on 5, 6 and 4.11

There is one problem that may be specific to 4.11 which we still need to track down. After a period of use, the users' process stops responding, requiring manual killing of the jailshell and sub processes. The timing is not consistent: sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes it takes several minutes of use.

And of course, jailshell still doesn't allow commandline use of mysql *sigh*

As for the bind/name issue, that sounds easily fixed. Does it happen with all FreeBSDs or simply 4.x?

We have a rework of the init script handling for all platforms waiting in the wings (probably waiting for 11 to release? I don't know) that will hopefully resolve this. Regardless, I'll bring it to the attention of the proper person to make certain it is handled.

10. JamesSmith

Hi Kenneth,

Keep up the good work - This is how cPanel should be responding to problems and suggestions.

We're seeing the named issue across all branches of FreeBSD, 4, 5 and 6.

11. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.