The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD mail scanning

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hansmiddelhoek, Feb 20, 2004.

1. hansmiddelhoek

Hello,

I've seen some topics about mailscanner and exiscan. The new viruses force us to install a better mailscanner than the default one. But as I found, mailscanner conflict with freebsd and a manual installation wil be overwritten bij cPanel.
    Exiscan looked like a solution but it looks like the configuration maybe overwritten by cPanel also.

For the moment I don't know which is the best option. Anybody who can give us some advise?

Would cPanel come up with an update of the mailscanner functionality for freebsd soon?

Thanks,
    Hans

2. guinea812

guinea812 Member

Hey -
    Well, I got the cpanel version of mailscanner/clamav autoinstaller to work fine on my freebsd server (version 4.8). I have tested it virus detecting abilities and it works quite well. Thats why I was a litte confused when some other people stated it didn't work with freebsd, lol, it probably only works in my case.

3. Dillard

Dillard Well-Known Member

Did you use the mailscanner from the ports-collection or did you use the installer from layer 1 ?

4. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

the cpanel installer will not work on FreeBSD, you will need to install Mailscanner and clamav from the ports, if it will build On 5.1-p11 I got problems doing it after the cpanel Perl build.

Better put the ports in before installing cpanel I think - but this is maybe I who had some bad luck.

You will need to some custom config and protect thel files from overwriting.

I have plans publishing the rutine but don't have time now.
    Maybe if I publish it on some page Nick will think it is time to support Mailscanner on FreeBSD also:)

Beware also that Mailscanner is taking quite a lot of resurces and you will have to keep less clients on one box.

I don't know if anyone enabled this feture to scan by doimain, but that is something I would like to look into.

5. guinea812

guinea812 Member

Well then thats really strange because the mail scanner with clamav from layer1.cpanel.net installed and runs fine on my freebsd server. Maybe I could be a special case/miracle but it works. I have frequently caught viruses and it seems to work flawlessly.