The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREEBSD or FEDORA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sky, Feb 2, 2005.

1. sky

sky Well-Known Member

Ok guys,

I am getting a new machine to replace one of my machines. I know this may be out of topic but would like to know from experienced ones which OS would be better suited for Cpanel.

thx

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should not use Fedora on a production server. If you know FreeBSD, feel free to give it a go, though I would recommend using CentOS or RHE if you want the support. It seems that FreeBSD support/updates tend to trail behind the RedHat updates somewhat too.

3. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

I also recommend RHEL or CentOS as they are quite stable. Fedora Core is geared more towards "latest and greatest". RHEL and CentOS is geared towards "tried and true". I never used BSD, so I have no idea about it whatsoever. Don't let us scare tou away completely from Fedora, however. I've been running it on 2 boxes for 3 weeks now (FC1 for about a year) and been working fine (what's even better, is they're FC3 :) )

4. bashprompt18

bashprompt18 Active Member

FreeBSD is More Solid and Secure and manages memory better and it's kernel is not
    loaded with crap. This is all just my 2 cents and from what I have learned by working
    with it and Linux. Linux is my First love but I just have to admit FreeBSD is has shown
    me that is't much better in a production server. I use Fedora core 1 on my hosting server and this is because there was confusion between me and my D.C. when my server was setup but my next server will be FreeBSD. There is a bit more of a learning curve to FreeBSD and if I were you I would do some research in advanced. Search this message board and others and do a little reading at freeBSD.org. If you don't feel like you can get the hang of it then you would be better off with a linux O/S. Again this is all just my 2 cents.

-John

5. dsamms

dsamms Registered

cPanel support of FreeBSD 5.3 is awful

basic thinks like DNS and phpMyAdmin don't work on install. Strongly recommend using another vendor if you plan on running FreeBSD 5.3

6. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

FreeBSD all the way

7. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

Just find a cpanel version where everything works and DO NOT AUTO UPDATE IT. Once you got a stable release of cPanel your good to go.