The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD pf Guides

Discussion in 'Security' started by Miraenda, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Coralville, Iowa USA
    Since many FreeBSD machines do not have a firewall by default enabled (unlike most Linux systems where iptables is automatically enabled and running), I wanted to post a couple of guides I've created for pf. The first guide is on basic understanding of pf and how-to enable it, while the second is on building a pf configuration on a hosting machine running websites.

Since I'm relatively new to pf and FreeBSD as well, I am certain there are improvements that could be made for both guides, especially the building a pf configuration one. If anyone has suggestions or comments, please let me know.

While this isn't directly related to cPanel options, having a firewall on FreeBSD systems is a needed security measure on any system with online websites. My FreeBSD machine is running cPanel, so the options I've noted in my guide will work under cPanel.

Guide One - pf Guide on FreeBSD - errorCodex - Computer Questions & Solutions Forum
    Guide Two - Building a pf Configuration on FreeBSD - errorCodex - Computer Questions & Solutions Forum
    #1 Miraenda, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010