The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD Problems in here...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amaru[Infinite], Jul 9, 2003.

1. Amaru[Infinite]

Basically, I am starting a thread as to put solutions to all the problems cPanel has with FreeBSD into, to make it easier for those users who are using BSD to run/maintain cPanel.

Firstly, that nasty cannot connect to /tmp/mysql.sock error that appears on almost every bsd installation. To fix follow these steps;

1) su to root, and use the bash shell / environment.
    2) type "export FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
    3) /scripts/quickfixmysqlbsd -- it seems cPanel have already implemented a semi solution to fix it.

If you have set a password in cPanel for MySQL, IT WILL NOT WORK ONCE YOUVE TAKEN THE ABOVE STEPS!!!!!!!!!

To fix this, type;
    mysqladmin -u root --password= password 'new-password-here'

Then in WHM, go to "Set MySQL root password" and enter the password you set root too with the above command. When you click ok, it should come up with errors saying cannot connect to database (if you previously set a password), thats normal, and everything should be working now.

Secondly, if youre running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and having problems with the server crashing everytime /scripts/upcp runs (usually every 24 hours, so your uptime will be less than a day), upgrade to 4.8-STABLE (if you dont have cvsup installed type -- cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui; make install; cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup; vi stable-supfile

change the info to whats appropriate (e.g cvsup server to connect to, cvsup.freebsd.org, cvsup.au.freebsd.org etc), use RELENG_4 for the release branch/tag, save the file and exit then type cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile.

Then recompile the world, reinstall your kernel (howtos on freebsd.org handbook), restart and all should be good.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Nick is working on a solution to the nightly crashing ( its a freebsd problem not cpanel though ). Ill stick with release over stable :P

3. Amaru[Infinite]

the problem is specific to 4.7-RELEASE, rather than work on the problem, if you simply update to something newer you can fix it... you dont have to go to stable, 4.8-RELEASE has fixed this as well from what I understand (4.7 has been proven extremely buggy so id have to wonder as to why anyones still using it).

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Well actually, im on 4.8 Release and it does crash nightly at around upcp.. well it did. I've gone into Update prefs and disabled darkorb package updates, security updates and freebsd port upgrades and its no longer crashing. Now just to wait for the fix.

5. Amaru[Infinite]

The problem is specifically related to the freebsd port upgrades... after dealing with Darren from cPanel, the only conclusion we could come to was a hardwaire failure. Did a memory test, nothing wrong, upgraded to -STABLE, and cPanel is running better than ever... its a BSD problem with memory allocations, I dont know why cPanel would be writing a fix for a BSD kernel problem, but just my two cents :)

6. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

I have to agree the crashing problem is a FreeBSD kernel. It only happens when I compile a specific kernel file.

Thanks for the tip about mySQL. I need to note that /scripts/quickfixmysqlbsd had an older version of mySQL which doesn't not exist anymore. So you need to modify that file for the most updated version (currently 4.0.16)

Any other tips for FreeBSD cPanel problems ?

#6 hicom, Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  7. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

I am also working on FreeBSD and there are some draw back's with it over Linux. Sorry to say but understandable.

There is jailshell, and no working antivirus install.

The installer misses expect (need this one to copy account) and there shuld be made a link from linux placement of mysql to FreeBSD's placement, a symlink /var/lib/mysql to /var/db/mysql. If not there will be some problems, horde is not working and it might be due to this (have not testet yet)

I think Cpanel has been bussy making WHM work on new RH versions, and they have been doing a realy fast job to - looks like.

Hopefully they will jump at bringing FreeBSD up to speed with Linux when this is finished, because now I think quite a few pople are looking for a replacment for RH.

Maybe I can put it this way: Please please cpanel - polish up WHM on FreeBSD!

Anyway if someone have some detailed instructions on how to get Mailscanner andclamav work on FreeBSD please publish it.

#7 bjarne, Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  8. hostonlinux

hostonlinux Registered

I have problem w/ changing password in Cpanel in FreeBSD 5.1. Any ideas ?
    Thanks