The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freebsd: Updating src

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjackson909, May 30, 2008.

1. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever updated freebsd src via buildworld on a cpanel server? Any tricks? Anything I should look out for? I'm upgrading from 4.8 to 6.2 which would suck without cPanel. I can't really think of any thing that I can hurt, but who knows.

Thanks
    -Seth

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I'm almost 100% sure you cannot upgrade 4.8 to 6.x on an upgrade on the same box. I wouldn't even try it as there is so much different you would probably end up with a dead box. Pretty sure even the file formats and disk structure is different.

If you have an active cpanel box you would be best to build a new machine and migrate the clients to the new machine. We did several 4.7/4.8 boxes to 6.2 but we actually copied files, folders and manipulated the password files to pull things accross rather than just doing the regular cpanel migration. Its alot of work but you can find threads here how to do it.

3. sjackson909

nyjimbo,

Thanks for the reply. However is it possible to update a BSD cpanel server to the latest stable with out breaking stuff. So like 6.1 to 6.2 Stable?

Thanks
    -Seth

4. nyjimbo

You mean update the OS from 4.x to 6.x, right ?. We have to remove the "cpanel environment" as an issue as thats the least of your concerns. Upgrading a 4.x to 6.x is probably impossible, its likely to destroy your machine if it could even be done. I am confused because you mention going 4.x to 6.x but then now you say 6.1 to 6.2 :confused:

5. sjackson909

Say I have a 6.1 cpanel server. Can i upgrade it to 6.2 without breaking cpanel?

6. nyjimbo

You probably would break Cpanel. Normally you start with a virgin Freebsd install and then Cpanel goes in and does its magic, but that magic changes the system so much if you did a full upgrade via a build world or something similiar you would clobber so many things that I dont know if a 'upcp --force' could fix it. I wonder if even the cpanel techs have ever done this. Just imagine the patches and addons to things like apache or all the stuff added to exim, named and such that would be lost. Even the directories that a build would work with would likely not match the ones cpanel works with. Might be fun to try it, but not with a live box.

7. IPSecureNetwork

IPSecureNetwork Well-Known Member

freeBsd Migration

Well guys ... migrate freebsd from 6.0 to 6.3 its possible is other release from the same branch, and yes you must after that ..rebuild your cpanel packages with a simple upcp --force ...

i test that and works

from 4.x to 6.x is not possible..

8. nyjimbo

Are you saying that you migrated OR that you did an inplace full system upgrade by doing some kind of "build world". We've done migrations from any OS to any and all works pretty well.

9. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Two of my FreeBSD test servers are maintained in this manner. One started as 6.2 and is now 6.3, the other is still 7.0. Use the canonical method as desctibed in the FreeBSD handbook. There are still chances for things to go awry during the process, especially if using mergemaster and you don't watch closely the files being modified.

10. jkuster

jkuster Registered

Have you ever tried it using freebsd-update? I've got a handful of servers that need upgrading and the thought of doing a full buildworld cycle on all of them isn't all that appealing.

Anyone ever tried going from 5.5->6.3? I've got a couple of those too. I did a 6.2->7.0 upgrade with freebsd-update and it all went smoothly, but that machine didn't have cPanel on it.

11. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The freebsd-update command will only work for systems running a binary-only edition of FreeBSD, typically FreeBSD RELEASE. If using FreeBSD STABLE, then that command will not facilitate updates.

For example, one of my test systems is FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE. Once 7.1-STABLE is available, freebsd-update would not upgrade the system.