The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh Install of Redhat...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ImpulseX, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ImpulseX

ImpulseX Registered

I just did a fresh install of Redhat Linux 9.0. I'm new to all this so I wasn't sure what exactly to pick. I picked a server install, and when it asked what to install with it I checked everything. Will this have any effect on cPanel? I figured that it was only 4gigs extra to install everything, and if I didn't need something I could uninstall later. Now that I look back I realize all the security issues involved...

Anyways, I was just wondering if this would have an effect on cPanel. Should I reinstall Redhat? Or can I go with my current configuration of it and run cPanel?

<--- Newbie :rolleyes:

2. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

It is recommended to do a minimul install of RedHat as cPanel will install all it needs

3. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, a minimal install to begin with is recommended. At best, installing everything just wastes 4 GB of valuable space you could be using for paying clients and at worst one of the components you have installed but don't need might end up being a security risk later.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend that you do not install RH9 which is obsolete and unsupported. You'd be much better off using the CentOS derivative of RHE - you should use v3.4 (not v4):
    http://www.centos.org

5. ImpulseX

ImpulseX Registered

I reinstalled and I am using Webmin, with Fedora. I'll be using Webmin / usermin until I can afford cPanel =(.