The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Mysql 5.0 to 5.1 issues?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by manokiss, May 25, 2011.

1. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

Anyone who upgraded from/to this version had any problem in the real life? i mean with sites running joomla, drupal, etc.? Is now the procedure automatically handled by mysqlup? i remember and also readong some old post where are instructed to run some mysql commands for table grants, etc.

Thanx in advance!

2. k-planethost

k-planethost Well-Known Member

you should go to whm software-myscl upgrade the process is auto takes about 20 minutes depends from the box.
    the only issue that i face after was with the mod security at plugins resulted a blank page.on one of the boxes the rest nothing
    I had to reinstall the DBD::mysql module by issuing: /scripts/perlinstaller DBD::mysql thats all
    with the accounts joomla worpress etc i didnt face any issues.
    of course i think you should force a backup first or the databases just in case right.
    during the procedure may the sites not work.

3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Bumping this thread... I am looking at upgrading a box from MySQL 5.0.92 to MySQL 5.1.56. I am curious if anyone else out there can comment on real world issues that were seen after a 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade.

manokiss... did you do the upgrade, and how did it go? Any others with experience... would appreciate hearing from you as well!

- Scott

4. andyaav

andyaav Member

If you are running the latest versions of applications like joomla and drupal then there should be no problem to upgrade MySQL.

You can always check the technical requirements of the applications like for Joomla and Drupal will find at.

Joomla Requirements

Drupal requirements

5. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, Andy. I guess I understand that well behaved, maintained scripts will be fine. What I'm asking for is real world, server administrator experience, upgrading a real world shared web hosting server with potentially hundreds of accounts running anything from home-brew scripts, to old ZenCarts or who knows what.

Curious if the path from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 is a nightmare, or not so bad... any tips, tricks, experiences appreciated.

- Scott

6. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A few hours ago I started a multistage upgrade on a box running 11.30.6.3 / MySQL 5.0.92 / PHP 5.2.17 / Apache 1.3.x.

I decided to tackle MySQL first. I did the following:

1. I checked to make sure there were not any users authenticating into MySQL with a username longer than 16 characters.

This is pretty difficult to actually do, but i could tell by all of the database usernames in mysql.user that they were all either under 16 chars or that names of the ones that were actually 16 characters were "complete" in the sense that the customer would not be trying to authenticate with something longer.

2. I made sure my server was up to date as far as System/Server updates and that I was on the latest version of cPanel [I run Release].

3. I backed up the databases using what was suggested:

mysqldump --add-drop-table --all-databases | gzip > /backup/alldatabases.sql.gz

4. I initiated the update through WHM MySQL Upgrade

5. I told it to automatically build apache/PHP with my last saved settings

6. I monitored the process and it watched it do a mysqlcheck /repair twice and continued on.

MySQL started up and I verified it was working while it continued on with building Apache/PHP

So far everything looks fine. I did a /scripts/makecphp for the fun of it, but if you aren't using the PHP in /var/cpanel/3rdparty for your WHM/cPanel/cpsvrd then you wouldn't necessarily have to do that.

Some people have had to do a re-install of DBD::Mysql -- but I didn't have any problems [at least not yet] and did not manually reinstall it.

/scripts/perlinstaller DBD::mysql

About two hundred users on the server, most of them using at least one database. Looks okay to me so far. I tested about 100 sites.

One strange thing I noticed is that during the process it seems to have touched some /home/*/public_html/.htaccess files during the Apache rebuild. I'm not sure if it always does this and I just never noticed. Anyway, it didn't touch all of them, but around 90 of them. It didn't look like it changed anything in most of them, but on one of them it seemed to have commented out an AddHandler line that the user had in there -- and it turns out the line had to be uncommented because they were parsing htm files through the PHP interpreter [and I'll have to revisit that with this particular customer since I frown upon that].

So far so good. WHM / cPanel seem to be functioning fine. I can get into customer cPanel acccounts. phpMyAdmin is working in WHM and in cPanel accounts, and database authentication is working. Knock on wood, it seems to have gone pretty smooth for me.

Good luck!

M

7. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for sharing your experience -- that is most helpful!!! Please drop by and let us know in a day or two how things fair, after customers have had a chance to beat up their sites and find any hidden issues. Would be great to know... even if there are no issues!

Thanks again -- really appreciate all this detail!

- Scott

8. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Scott et al,

I'm happy to report that I haven't heard anything out of my customers in the few days following the upgrade from MySQL 5.0.92 to 5.1.xx. It was uneventful except for my own anxiety. I hope your experience will be similar.

M

9. manokiss

manokiss Well-Known Member

Thanx for the reporting guys and im glad the upgrades gone ok....we scheduled the upgrade for March, ill report after it. Thanx!

10. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 went very well. No customer problems reported after 24 hours EXCEPT one odd problem, that might not have been related to the upgrade.

About 8 hours after the upgrade, a WordPress site lost all its posts and pages. Turns out the wp-posts table had crashed. Had this in the /var/lib/mysql/(servername).err log:

Using the repair tool built into phpMyAdmin, the table was repaired and everything was back to normal. I am not sure how this problem could have been caused by the upgrade... the customer reported that they had been happily making posts earlier in the morning, until this problem happened later.

Other than this odd issue, no other problems reported by any customers... very smooth upgrade !

- Scott

11. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

Your detailed description of the upgrade was fantastic and very much appreciated. Thumbs up for taking the time. :)

12. dbanach

dbanach Member

I got the same errors in a drupal installation but the tables turned out to be corrupt and not repairable in phpMyAdmin. Some of the tables didn't get updated in the upgrade process and this killed a number of my drupal and wordpress sites. and the backups are useless since they are an old version.

Anyone have any idea how to manually upgrade the tables that got left behind?

I would definitely make this upgrade with caution.

13. dbanach

dbanach Member