The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Real to Virtual server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fookraa, Jun 21, 2011.

1. fookraa

fookraa Registered

Jun 21, 2011
    In a package by private company , my website is hosted by , and i received cpanel ( Domain Owner Panel ) ; as backend which is by default included in the package ,
    however i don't have any information from my host about the license nor they will give.

I am using Joomla 1.5
    Before making any changes to my real (live) website , i want to test and experience the effect of changes my team do on a virtual environment. This may help us make multiple changes independently and if anything goes wrong , our real (Live) website will not be at stake.

I am using oracle virtualBox on my personal laptop (Intel core i5) and want to install cpanel (and everything similar to what i have on my real domain) on any virtual environment.
    All this i want to do is for a non commercial use. Please suggest me a way to do this.

Can i export my real cPanel from hosting server to my independent virtual environment??

Turnkey-Linux ( similar thing for virtual environment but provide it with Webmin instead of cPanel.
    can i replace their Webmin with cPanel on the said environment?

All can contact on my public email ID -redacted-. Please give subject :"cPanel Support"
    any response is highly welcome.
    -Regards Fookraa Singh
    #1 fookraa, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It would be a bit expensive to setup a test server just to test your website changes. You can however get a trial license but you must have a dedicated IP address for this or cPanel will not work properly.

You might find it easier to simply install a second stage setup of the same website inside a directory of your existing account.

If your Joomla is installed here:
    You could create a directory called stage for example and install a second Joomla there: