The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FrontPage & Default account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by siwis, Oct 10, 2004.

1. siwis

siwis Registered

Firstly, please - no flames re FrontPage!

Secondly, forgive my ignorance if there is a simple solution:

I'm new (**very**) to WHM & cPanel having just migrated from the Cobalt RaQ platform.
    On my RaQ's, whenever I created a new virtual site, the option was there to add frontpage extensions for the account. All RaQ frontpage "users" have the username "webmaster" and have their own password, independent of any users assigned to the virtual site.

Now this might seem trivial, but I have developers who use FP on their clients accounts. The FP account created by WHM appears to use the primary username and password for the vsite which means that if their client updates their password, the developer/designer is locked out from updating the website!

Is there something I'm missing, or a known workaround which can seperate the FP user from the main site/email user?

WHM 9.9.0 cPanel 9.9.0-C80
    Trustix i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I don't use frontpage but to the best of my knowledge, frontpage and cpanel use the same log in data and can't be seperated.

Hopefully someone else will say they can be. Cases like this are where I hope I'm wrong. ;)

3. eeadmin

eeadmin Well-Known Member

any one

does anybody know anything about this

4. andyk

andyk Registered

Yes but it may not be much help...

FrontPage with server extensions provides its own internal user management. Yes, under CP the FrontPage administrator user is set up with the same ID and password as the main site's admin user. However, it SHOULD be a simple task to add new users within the FrontPage web, with their own IDs and passwords, completely separate from the CP FTP accounts. (This worked fine on the RAQ4 which I've just moved from.) This would solve the OP's problem.

However...

Having just moved from a RAQ4 to a server with CP I find that the FrontPage user management doesn't work properly - I get:

Server error: The password file "/home/mywebsite/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd" was not created by this client program and cannot be edited safely using this client program. [OK]

We haven't found out why yet. This problem may be unique to our server, though, so it may be worth a try. In FrontPage 2000 the user management is under Tools-Security-Permissions; it's somewhere else in FP2002 (don't ask me where).