The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frontpage Extension

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apachee, Aug 11, 2009.

1. apachee

apachee Registered
    PartnerNOC

what is the username and password for frontpage extension? I have tried using my cpanel login details to log on to the frontpage extension but failed..anyone can help me?

2. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The username and password for FrontPage Extensions are same as cPanel user/pass. Make sure that you are opening http://www.youdomain.com in FrontPage.

Kailash

3. apachee

apachee Registered
    PartnerNOC

I have tried to do it again. Still failed. Is it correct to log on through microsoft frontpage by selecting the Frontpage server extension or sharePoint services? And after that it requires login details? Or there is other way to use it. Sorry because this is my first time using it. Appreciate for the assistant

4. logicsupport

logicsupport Well-Known Member

Do you have root access ?

Have you tried to uninstall and install frontpage from your c-panel.

5. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can open your web site from "File" -> "Open Web..." and the enter http://www.yourdomain.com. Then after it should ask for username and password. Enter your cPanel details to login. If it doesn't work then there is a problem with your FrontPage Extension.

Kailash

6. sanjuabrahamk

sanjuabrahamk Active Member

Hello,

You have to set the permission of folder _vti_pvt/ and the file service.pwd as follows if you are running litespeed webserver.

chmod 750 _vti_pvt
    chmod 640 service.pwd
    chown user.nobody _vti_pvt
    chown user.nobody service.pwd

7. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Solution

In that case I would like to recommend you to reinstall the frontpage extension for your domain from your cPanel and if you are still having any problem then contact your hosting provider they will better assist you with this issue as they are having control over your domain hosted server.

8. apachee

apachee Registered
    PartnerNOC

Failed

I have tried to chown the _vti_pvt and reinstall the frontpage extension at my cpanel..but still cant work

9. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    maybe Frontpage is disabled on the server?

10. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Soution

Yes it could be possible that Frontpage feature disabled by your hosting provider.I would like to recommend you to contact your hosting provider and consult this issue with them as they are having control over your domain hosted server ......

11. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Just a side FYI following the above post and the comments thereafter ...

Frontpage is officially DEAD and several years past its EOL (End of Life) which means that it is no longer supported or available for distribution and will no longer have any updates released.

As time has gone by, technologies have evolved and Frontpage Extensions have gotten left behind since it is no longer being developed or supported and the few servers out there still running Frontpage Extensions are finding more and more that the current technologies are no longer compatible and you will find that problems will continue to increase as server technologies continue to evolve and subsequently move further and further away from Frontpage extension compatibility.

Honestly at this point, nobody is really supposed to be using Frontpage Extensions anymore and it is actually surprising that Cpanel has not as yet removed support for it (given how long ago Frontpage officially died) but that will probably happen fairly soon I would imagine given how far we are now past Frontpage end of life and the list of emerging incompatibilities and other issues with Frontpage Extensions against current servers only continues to grow!

Those of you still using Frontpage Extensions, you should be aware that they are officially history, not supposed to be using them, and the few remnants that remain WILL go going away!

To put it in the simplest terms ...

It's not wise to build any web site that depends on Frontpage Extensions because that is officially a dead technology that is now rapidly becoming totally extinct.

#11 Spiral, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009