The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frontpage Extensions (again)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tprice42, Oct 27, 2004.

1. tprice42

tprice42 Active Member

I hate to bring this up because personally i couldn't care less about frontpage extensions but they are there and unfortunately my customers expect to be able to use them.

The problem obviously is that they don't work... But there's more to it than meets the eye.

I'm running 2 of these:

WHM 9.9.0 cPanel 9.9.2-R8
    FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE i386

Running apache etc versions:

Server 1: Server Version: Apache/1.3.32 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.9 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.21 OpenSSL/0.9.7c (also running suEXEC)

Server 2: Server Version: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.9 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.19 OpenSSL/0.9.7c

Having tested both servers and finding neither working I have stuck to using the less system critical one for the problem solving process (hence the updated apache version). I have thouroughly searched the forums and found no answer to my problems so i'll start be explaining what i've done so far:

I've started by completely removing FP extns from the site and checking the file system for left over bits and peices, reinstalling and testing: Not working.

Removed them again and tried again from SSH using /scripts/setupfp5, this didn't work either.

Checked /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log for errors and found this:
    File does not exist: /usr/home/user/public_html/_vti_inf.html
    FrontPage SUID Error: target directory not found or insecure

I've checked the file system for the file referenced but it's not there, in fact there's no reference to any file by that name on either server, i checked an older server running extensions 4 and the file was there. I'm also not sure what directory the second log line was referencing either.

I've tried:
    /scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/initfpsuexec
    find /home -name "service.pwd" -exec chmod -v 600 {} ';
    /scripts/updatefrontpage

All of which have done nothing.

I beleive the root of the problem comes back to the _vti_inf.html file being missing, does FP extensions 5 need it, if not then why's it still being looked for and it so then why's it not being generated by the script?

I'm just about at my wits end with this so any suggestions / input from cPanel staff would be helpfull.

2. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

Like you, we're also completely fed up with frontpage no longer working on 1 of our servers...

Have pretty much tried everything you have with no luck.

Would be nice to hear a response from cpanel.

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please open a ticket with our support. We cannot fix your frontpage if you do not look at your box.

4. tprice42

tprice42 Active Member

Ok, my frontpage is fixed on my servers.

Turns out the problem was system-wide and a simple re-install of the frontpage extensions BSD package has fixed the problem.

I must also heap praise on the cPanel support staff who helped me with this problem, they were prompt, careful*, and friendly.

On a BSD system this is the steps to fix the problem:
    chflags noschg /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe **
    cd /usr/ports/www/frontpage
    make && make install
    /scripts/initfpsuexec

On other systems the frontpage install process may be different (Redhat: yum remove [package] && yum install [package], Debian: apt-get remove [package] && apt-get install [package] etc...)

* Like most admins i consider the amount of hacking and customising of these systems to get them working the way i like to be precious and almost unbearable to consider having to do again.

** substitute 'chflags' for 'chattr' on a linux based systems, arguments for this command found in man file. This would not normally need to be run but this file for some reason was installed with schg flags meaning it can't be changed by anyone (including root).