The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frontpage extensions not working. any help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diatone, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a problem.. No one can publish via their frontpage. I tried all the normal fixes listed before on the forums, such as updating cpanel, fixfrontpage, chmoding the service.pwd file, etc. the output of the /usr/local/frontpage dir for their www. files are chowned to theirusername.theirusername so hopefully that is correct. here is the error that apache spits out when someone tries to publish frontpage.

[fp-auth] [error] Cannot open /home/rdjansen/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd uid=99 gid=99 99
    [Wed Nov 24 11:21:18 2004] [error] [client 65.2.228.52] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/_vti_bin/fpexe

any help would be appreciated.

2. Diatone

Diatone Well-Known Member

no one has even viewed my topic? wow thats sad.

3. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

We've experienced this problem in the past, but simply uninstalling frontpage extensions and then reinstalling them from within cpanel seemed to correct the problem. It may be worth a try.

4. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i did go by johnboy; re-installing after a complete removal of frontpage files ia always worth a try. BTW the username with the gid and uid as 99; is "nobody". Mayb u can dig in that direction too.

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    reinstalling using cpanel doesn't always work for me. Instead, I usually have to use WHM to remove/install.

One thing I hate about doing it, using either cpanel or whm is that the web loses some of it's structure. This MS fault.

When removing extensions, you also remove the /private/ files, the shared borders, and most importantly for a large site.... the Navigation structure. So, if someone is utilizing FrontPage's navigation feature for their buttons and links.... poof, they're gone with the reinstall.

And the themes get screwed up somethimes also.

Before removing extensions, try backing up all of the /. folders, like /.private, /.vtn_bin, etc. After reinstall, review what might be missing.

6. bman

bman Well-Known Member

i thought front page extensions are a security risk
    or there ok to install ?

7. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT recommendation. We have also found that sometimes the WHM option works, sometimes the cpanel option works, so if one doesn't do it, try a complete uninstall and then re-install with the other. Diatone, did anything ultimately work for you, or are you still experiencing the problem?

8. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    you can also try generating a full home backup and moving that to the root of the /home directory, terminating the account and restoring it off that backup.