The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FrontPage Extensions not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbaylessii, Feb 10, 2009.

1. rbaylessii

rbaylessii Registered

I have a user that is having problems with getting FrontPage Extensions to work. This issue began a couple weeks ago. We resolved it by uninstalling and re-installing the extensions and they worked fine. Then a couple days ago, the issue re-occurred. I tried the previous solution and it did not work this time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    FrontPage is EOL and getting harder to support. If you are running mod_security most rules break FrontPage. If you look at the FrontPage replacement "Expressions" you will see they changed the publishing technique because of the issues with FP. Good Luck!

3. larwilliams

larwilliams Active Member

Are there any rules in particular that break FP support?

4. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We went through a long process with mod_sec and Apache 1.x.x and added the rules one at a time then used a FP component to see what broke it. Long and ugly process. Since going to Apache 2.x.x and with FP EOL and having to use new mod_sec rules we decided ue our the support desk with tutorials about getting and using FTP for uploading. As well as using PHP for web mailing scripts to wean people off of FP.

So to answer your question we do not have anything specific and long lost the old Apache 1 rules we used.

5. rbaylessii

rbaylessii Registered

My user has purchased Expressions because of the FP Extension problems but he says that it also uses FP Extensions. I have not looked into Expressions yet, but you say it uses a different publishing technique? Is this totally unrelated to FP Extensions? Is it using some form of FTP? This user is not grasping FTP at all as he has used FP Extensions for 7 or 8 years or so.

I appreciate the input.

Richard

6. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have them both, still learning Expressions. But from what I have used on it is set up just like an FTP program for publishing. I will look at it again tomorrow (on my laptop right now) and double check it. Even FP had an option for FTP uploading although I just used regular FTP and a program called Mizotec so I would not have to publish all the junk files from FP.

One good thing about Expressions is it will allow PHP code and allow editting it and will not try to recode the file if you insert something like FP did unless you put in a special block of code.

7. rbaylessii

rbaylessii Registered

I remember FP having an FTP feature, but I remember it not working as smoothly (as compared to FP Extensions). I guess what I need to do is set aside some time and sit down and play with Expressions for a bit. I have heard the Expressions Suite is a huge and nice software suite so that will be interesting to check out.

Thanks again,

Richard

8. rbaylessii

rbaylessii Registered

BTW, not to be off topic, but are you the same Randy Henderson that offered FIDO.net feeds yearrrrrrrrrssssssssss ago during the BBS days? I just saw you were from Oklahoma and the name rang a bell.

- Richard