The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FrontPage extensions not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cazny, Sep 8, 2004.

1. cazny

cazny BANNED

FrontPage extensions not working on my server yet it works on my other servers.

I have FP 2003 and I replicated the issue that my clients are having

It says in FP error dialog popup

"The following pages in your website contain dynamic Front Page components...... They will not work because the server you are publishing to does not have the FrontPage server extensions or SharePoint Services installed"

I have it enabled on all packages. I even deleted the account and re-created it. This works fine on my other servers so I know it has nothing to do with FrontPage nonetheless as I use it to publish our low bandwidth site on another server just fine.

Apache was even rebuilt and yet it still does not work.

What could be the problem here?

Using Fedora Core 2.

2. cazny

cazny BANNED

Can someone please help here?

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

You sure about that chadi?

It is most likely a FP2003/SharePoint function that is not supported by the FP extensions you are running. Try running the same site (the same functions) on the server you think is good and see what happens. ;)

BTW, please do not cross post and certainly do not bump cross posted threads. That is a good way to get your new name added to peoples ignore lists.

4. SarcNBit

5. cazny

cazny BANNED

Other people were able to replicate the problem as well on this server so I know it is not FP's part.

6. SarcNBit

7. SarcNBit

Are they also running FP2003?

I am not going to argue semantics. Depending on how you want to define the problem, you could call it FP's fault or the servers fault. The bottom line is that there is incompatibility between certain FP functions and non Windows 2003 servers. Tell your clients to use FP2002 enhancements only, run a Win2K3 server or tell them to find a new host.

It is a problem that all non-MS web hosts are going to have to face. Unless of course someone decides to develop a 3rd party interpreter (that MS would most likely shut down) there is nothing anyone but Uncle Bill can do for you.

8. cazny

cazny BANNED

Thanks for the link, it is help in one way to show the clients bu in another way doesn't actually solve the issue.

Reason being is that on my other Enterprise server FP extensions work perfectly fine (using FP 2003 as usual). So, my wonder is why it would not work fine here.

What I noticed is that the same problem arises on another Fedora Core 2 box.

I seriously hope there is a fix around this. It just does not make sense that it works on Enterprise 3 but not Fedora. Perhaps Fedora is missing something, yet cPanel still includes it in WHM.

Please help me here.

9. SarcNBit

Maybe you are not running an up to date version of the extensions. You can try running /scripts/updatefrontpage

10. SarcNBit

BTW, what components are they trying to run?

11. cazny

cazny BANNED

That command did not work.

Also, running form handlers only.

12. SarcNBit

The script did not run, or it ran and did not fix your problem?

Have you restarted apache (I do not remember the details of that script).

13. cazny

cazny BANNED

I ran the script fine but it did not fix anything basically.

Restarted Apache approx 300 times LOL

14. SarcNBit

If your FP extensions are up to date and working fine for other accounts, I am going to guess that the issue is related to a FP2003 component that requires FP2003/SharePoint backend support. Because FP extention usage depends on domain propagation, it is not that convenient to test client files on multiple servers. If you are certain that is not the issue then I am out of ideas for you. :(

15. cazny

cazny BANNED

Funny, same thing happening on Enterprise 3 servers for all us of (clients, friends, admins, myself).

Now, any suggestions?

Updated Apache including FP module. Not sure what on earth is the case here.

Tried both current and release versions of cPanel.

16. chadi

chadi BANNED

Hello folks. I have found out what causes this.

You cannot publish in FrontPage (any of the 4 methods) to a virtually shared IP address. It must be a dedicated IP address in order for it to work.

That is the only problem causing this. Try it and you'll see what I mean. It makes sense after all. FP does not want to publish to "any" site that all use the same shared IP.

I guess Microsoft does know what they're doing after alll LOL.

17. TownX

TownX Registered

"You cannot publish in FrontPage (any of the 4 methods) to a virtually shared IP address. It must be a dedicated IP address in order for it to work."

Sorry, but that is abosulty not the case, otherwise many many webhosts would have big problems by now :)

Ask your host if the dosevasive_module option is enabled in apache. It must be disabled in order to get frontapge working correctly.

18. chadi

chadi BANNED

Well, I have my own server so where would I find that module information in apache? Please let me know.

Also, it does make sense that it SHOULD work yet makes sense that it would not (being a Microsoft software lol). Anyways, please let me know.

19. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    check if the user abd group directives are there at the httpd.conf entry for the domain you are trying.

20. chadi

chadi BANNED

That may be not necessary as I've tried several test accounts so it would be server wide not just a particular account.

Also, anyone know how to publish from FrontPage to a sub-domain? Never done it before but any help would be apprecaited. Thank you.