The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frontpage nightmare!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clook, Dec 15, 2003.

1. clook

clook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I'm posting this in the hope that someone here can shed some light on major Frontpage problems we're having across multiple servers with either Redhat 7.3 or Redhat 9.0 installed.

Frontpage is simply not recognising that extensions are installed and either kicking back the 'extensions not installed' error or reverting to ftp transfer.

Nothing in the /scripts dir has worked and neither has a full FP reinstall (along with apache/php recompile after the FP install took them back to basic).

To help get to the bottom of this I'd be grateful if anyone could help by anwering these questions:

1. Is it best to have Apache's fileprotect on or off?

2. What permissions/ownership settings should be set on what user files with regard to FP extensions when Apache's fileprotect is on?

3. What permissions/ownership settings should be set on what user files with regard to FP extensions when Apache's fileprotect is off?

Any other tips or info will be gratefully accepted too!

Thanks in advance!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 32463

2. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

How are they publishing?

Using http://www. correct, FP on *nix requires this prefix

3. clook

clook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yep, this is what is used and it kicks back the error of 'extensions not installed' (or some have mentioned a 403 permissions error).

When using just 'domain.com' it reverts to ftp transfer.

4. MySitesOnline

MySitesOnline Active Member

We have had the same problem here

5. clook

clook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Did you manage to get it resolved or pin it down to a particular cause? How long has this been happening for you?

6. MySitesOnline

MySitesOnline Active Member

Hi,

I can't find anything that this could be so the issue remains unresolved, it happened around two weeks ago or something.

We tried reinstalling the extensions themselves but that doesn't seem to help and it takes the steps to reset our php config.

7. snide

snide Member

We are experiencing the exact same issue, as well. This has started after making no changes, no updates, etc. FrontPage just stops working, apparently. :(

It's nearly ruining several clients' businesses. We've actually moved them from one server to another which had a working version of FP on it, but alas, today it stopped working as well.

I've tried everything that I can think of with our servers - and I'm sure Jim has done the same at Clook, but as yet, I have seen no conclusion.

8. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have found that reinstalling the extensions does not work by itself. You need to have your client uninstall and then install the extensions. Works on our boxes anyway.

9. clook

clook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Tried it more times than I can count.

10. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I discovered, that if you do not run suexec, you cannot run Apache's fileprotect. If you have enabled this once, there is a file on your system that has to be removed. I forget where this file was though, and what it's name was. This only applies if you do not run suexec.

11. clook

clook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

suexec is running on all servers. The file you refer to is probably /var/cpanel/fileprotect which I know a number of scripts reference for things like dir permission settings. I suspect this frontpage issue may be related to this but cannot be sure.

12. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Clook,

Yep, that was it, but if you are running suexec, then what I encountered has nothing to do with the problem you are having. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.