The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FrontPage Passwords and Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leighj, Sep 14, 2004.

1. leighj

leighj Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2003
    UPDATE Added this to Bugzilla as Bug 1232

There has been frequent problems with the 'syncing' of passwords between Cpanel/WHM and FrontPage.

The problem surfaced when someone tried to add a FrontPage user via the web interface. It worked and then they tried to change their initial FrontPage password through the same interface. :eek:

They then noticed that the password only changed for FrontPage. :confused: (of course because Frontpage is an addon to Apache and has NO relation to Cpanel etc).

So they go and change the password in Cpanel. Cpanel goes through and 'changes' the password or as I like to say it chopped off the guys head to give him a haircut. It deleted the service.pwd file(and all the users added to it) and recreated it from scratch. and puts only the cpanel account and password. To make matters worse. The format that it creates is incompatible with the FrontPage web admin.

Then the admin interface threw this error when they tried to recreate the lost user.
    The password file "/home/username/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd" was not created by this client program and cannot be edited safely using this client program.

Sound familiar? This thread talked about it but with a pretty ROUGH fix

The problem file is /home/username/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd

I did manange to find a way to fix this. This is a bad service.pwd file
    Now fixed it looks as such
    # -FrontPage-
    Which one is not like the other one? Wow that's one problem solved. :D

HOWEVER the next time a password is changed from cpanel the service.pwd file is reduced back to

There is a solution and a IMHO simple solution.
    When creating an account create a valid service.pwd (with the # - FrontPage-) with the cpanel user. (I'm thinking that the create account does a password update to add the frontpage user so maybe this is only 1 fix) When panel updates to the password have the update parse the service.pwd file and only update the user which matches the cpanel account.

I'm sure someone has a perl, awk, grep and/or sed solution already. It's not a big fix IMHO just a tweak.

Any thoughts?
    #1 leighj, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004