The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated - problems with DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by douglatz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. douglatz

douglatz Member

I have installed CPANEL on a Fedora installation and gotten it working ... except none of the domains I've put on it respond. It looks like a DNS issue - I've registered it as ns1.geekoids.com and it responds correctly when I am on the server or when I specifically define the IP as a dns server in nslookup - but not when I attempt to access a domain on the server from another system.

I've also tried to set up a secondary nameserver (ns2.geekoids.com) by installing the dns-only product, but I cannot get cpanel DNS-ONLY to respond when I try to attach to it from the link on the WHM page.

The documentation for dns-only, frankly, sucks. I can't tell what processes should be running, or why I can't get it to work.

Is there *anyone* having some success with this product? Or, failing that, is there a way to enable slaveDNS pulls from the cpanel DNS that doesn't involve having to manually edit the named.conf after every dns change?

douglas

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Firstly your parent name servers at your registrar are listed as
    ns.geekoids.com
    ns2.geekoids.com

ns1 is not registered at your registrar and ns2 is being blocked or is unreachable. So change your registrar to NS1 and you should be fine. You do need to find out why ns2 is not responding though.

cheers

Oh, you also seem to be missing your A record as well. It seems like you just need basic setup. Yell if you like, I would be happy to lend a hand.

#2 jayh38, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  3. douglatz

douglatz Member

reformating the question

Hi, I see by the response that I probably did not make my issue clear.

I run an existing hosting company and my current nameservers are, indeed, ns.geekoids.com and ns2.geekoids.com. Geekoids.com is the existing domain and has *not* been transferred to the cpanel test server.

For the purpose of testing cpanel, I registered a new nameserver ns1.geekoids.com and had intended to simply add slave domains to ns2.geekoids.com - more on that later.

I've installed the cpanel software on a Fedora FC6-build and it is up and running (albeit outside my firewall, I've not been able to move it behind our firewall because there seems to be an issue with some of the ports it needs. I haven't fully mapped them, and they don't seem to be well documented. Is there a how-to on how to configure a cpanel server that is running on a private network using port forwarding to reach the required ports?)

ns2.geekoids com has always functioned behind our firewall - again forwarding port 53 to the appropriate IP address for DNS functions. When I first started working with cpanel, I first tried to set up a simple master/slave DNS nameserver relationship - but it appears that the default configuration for the cpanel nameserver is to not allow pulls unless the other server is configured using the cpanel dns-only package. I installed this package on our secondary nameserver, but am not getting any response from it at all.

The two servers have a secondary interface on our private network and should be able to communicate with each other. This is not happening. I can successfully connect to the cpanel server using the 192.168.24.x, and I can ssh into our other Linux system that should be running dns-only.

What I cannot find is any documentation that tells what processes should be running. What logs should be created. Or anything that gives me some troubleshooting data. DNS-Only *appeared* to install correctly - but other than that, the system might as well be a paperweight.

Can anyone point me at some decent documentation for this product or give me a clue as to what I should be looking for?

douglas

P.S. in case I didn't make this clear - ns2.geekoids.com now seems to be a black hole - this obviously cannot stand. If I can't get this resolved ASAP, I need to pull the plug on the project and start looking for another control panel solution.

4. BlueZebra

BlueZebra Well-Known Member

All your nameservers seems responding fine

ns1.geekoids.com has address xxx.xxx.xxx.231
    ns.geekoids.com has address xxx.xxx.xxx.252
    ns2.geekoids.com has address xxx.xxx.xxx.250

try dig @ns2.geekoids.com domainname.com

to see if it is resolving on the name server