The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSCK Backup Drive? Cutting down FSCK wait.

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by neutro, Jul 22, 2011.

1. neutro

neutro Well-Known Member

Do you think it is good idea to cut down fsck time by disabling fsck on backup drive?
    LABEL=/backup /backup ext3 defaults 1 2
    to
    LABEL=/backup /backup ext3 defaults 1 0

In order to minimize downtime during maintenance and updates? I am running hardware raid 1 for my system, and fsck took long time for backup due to the size and files. Shall i depend on smartcheck to determine the health of /backup (sdb)?

2. JerrySmith

JerrySmith Active Member

If I am not mistaken, fsck should only run every X mounts (i think it is 40 by default?) or when an unclean shutdown has been detected.

In either case, it should only occur on rare occasions. I would not recommend disabling fsck on any filesystem.

3. alphawolf50

alphawolf50 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could also convert your backup partition to ext4, which would reduce FSCK time significantly. CentOS/RHEL 5.6 and later support ext4.

Note that in RHEL and clones, the utilities have slightly different names than most instructions will give you. Wherever you see a "2fs" in a command, it is "4fs" under RHEL.

i.e.
    # yum install e4fsprogs
    # tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/DEV
    # e4fsck -fDC0 /dev/DEV

Replace "DEV" with your device, and make sure you umount /backup before doing any of this.

Oh, and don't forget to change the mount option to ext4 in fstab.

#3 alphawolf50, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. tdens

tdens Member

I would, and do, disable fsck on any large drives and manually schedule fscking. Changing fstab entries will not disable fsck, though - you'll need to use tune2fs. No sane backup scenario would be done to a partition or disk in the same physical box that the data lives in, unless this is "just for fun" data.