The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fsck - Doesn't work!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MscLimp, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MscLimp

MscLimp Active Member

Hey everyone,

Sort of ran into a problem I can't seem to find a workaround to. Couple days ago my server started acting up, crashed and then booted into read-only mode. Which can only mean two things - filesystem problem, or HD starting to fail.
    In the /var/log/messages I saw:

Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3 FS on hda2, internal journal
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
    Dec 30 02:02:22 server1 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

So I go to run a fsck. I add init=/bin/sh to the kernel line then boot to the shell, mount /proc, then /sbin/fsck -fAy which works in every other case. In this case when I run it, it simply gives the response:

fsck 1.38 (30 june 2005)

With nothing else, and does not run fsck! I've never seen this before and I'm not sure as to how to proceed with this...

Any ideas? :)

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

How about:

shutdown -Fr now

Oh, and do make sure you have backups before running FSCK as it can often cause more problems than it cures.