The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSCK Failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mark1hos, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mark1hos

mark1hos Active Member

Our DC was perfoming a hardware test on one of our servers and two hours later, they have said:

A fsck was run on this machine which seems to of failed somehow, resulting in the machine failing to boot under any kernel or in single user mode. As such we are at the point of not knowing how to proceed. If you have any ideas please let us know so that we can try to get this up and running.

We had a new hard-drive put in two weeks ago, due to FSCK failing.

I don't know what to do.

Anyone with any help or advice?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

that looks like a response I got back from TP / evil1 a few times :(

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

:eek:

Wow, I hope they mean they dont know what YOU want to do next. If they really dont know what to do next they shouldnt be in this business. If they cant get it to boot and you dont have backups this could be a real disaster. Where do you stand on restoring files or anything ?

5. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Have they ran an fsck manually, or is the machine trying to boot and failing a system fsck? If its failing to boot while running an automatic fsck you'll need to do it manually and run something like "fsck -y", which will correct any corruption and allow the system to boot.

If, however, as they claim the machine cannot even get into single user mode than I'm afraid you're fudged. The only way to proceed is to have a new machine setup (I would really really have a new machine, if this is the 2nd time this has occurred in the same machine on two HDD's). You can then connect the possibly buggered HDD to the new machine and retrieve any data to install the new machine.

IMO its quite unlikely the machine won't be able to get into single user mode. I've never had a drive in almost six years of working with servers go completely tits up to the extent I'm unable to get the machine back up, data off and transferred over to a new machine as a precautionary measure.