The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP access help required

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pponting, Jul 19, 2004.

1. pponting

pponting Registered

I need to set up a common FTP account for a group of users. The account needs to have the ability for the users to upload files to the server but not be able to delete them. I am familliar with setting up the accounts but just cannot get the rights set up properly.

The main thing about this is that wherever they upload the files to must be linkable via http do they can post links to their own images they have uploaded in a forum (run on the same server)

The Anonymous account that CPanel allows you to set up would be ideal but I cannot link to the files that have been uploaded by http.

Any help appreciated.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you can. You would need to create a symlink inside your /public_html directory that points to your /public_ftp/incoming/, something like this:

ln -s /home/username/public_ftp/incoming /home/username/public_html/incoming

Of course, enabling anonymous FTP is always a very bad idea, and linking to anonymous FTP directories from inside a web root is even worse, but you get the idea ;)

3. pponting

pponting Registered

Thanks for the info. What do you create the symbolic link with?

What is the worst that can happen linking to files in a ftp area?

Thanks

4. pponting

pponting Registered

Actually, just been thinking about it. The anonymous account would not be to good as it is anonymous (no pasword)

I would rather set up a 'shared' ftp account with a password that gives the same access as the anonymous account

Write access
    no read access (HTTP can read though.)

Is this possible?