The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Account Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CIDER, Mar 5, 2004.

1. CIDER

CIDER Member

We are using

cPanel Pro 0.9.9.2 (RC8)
    cPanel Build 8.8.0-RELEASE 119

the question i need answered is, is it possible to create ftp accounts which allow users to upload to a folder BUT they cannot edit/delete or download files within that folder? I want to create a dump ftp for various files which can be accessed by anyone but do not want them to be able to edit/delete fules and or download them yet till i have perused them. There isnt a permissions options when creating ftp accounts so im not sure if its possible.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: Upload but not Edit/Download

2. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I had the same thing posted sometime back, got no response. It was required by a customer of mine, now i lost him. Wonder if this can be done.

3. CIDER

CIDER Member

lets hope so, because i am in need of it.

4. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If your situation lets you, you could use a web interface for people to dump files etc ? And then use scripting to restrict people to delete... Unfortunately my requirement didn't allow me doing that.

5. CIDER

CIDER Member

only issue with that is HTTP restricts the size of files which can be uploaded, and i would need to get a coder to code something which will be scrapped later, the ftp dump was going to be a fast easy way before we launched our site and sevices and it was mainly for files as big as 400mb which HTTP would time out

Im sure its possible i just dont know how.

6. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thats huge. Best of luck. If you do find the solution elsewhere do post it here, mite help someone else.

7. Steve-PWH

Steve-PWH Well-Known Member

anonymous FTP is what u need

U can not see or download from incomming

But u need dedicated IP for this

8. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Don't know if this solution would work for you in your case, but I had a similar need on an old box (non WHM/cPanel) and the best workaround for me was to create an anonymous incoming folder and then just ran a cron job to routinely move those files from public ftp to the desired location.

(HAH - Posted at the same time as Steve;)

9. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Okay, I have an answer after fooling around with this for a long time. This is not the best way of doing this but it seems to do what you are looking for.

You need to login to ftp as your self, the main account. Then create the folder under what ever subdirectory you want. Log into cPanel and create the FTP user and have them point to that directory and only have access to that direcory. For some reason if cPane creates the directory I can't get it to work. And If you put in subfolders in this directory then my way won't work. Unless CHMOD all the sub directories to the same as below.

After you created them, go back to the FTP under your main account and CHMOD that users directory to 325 yes 325. it's not the normal 777 or 755 but it does the job.

When that user login through ftp they can upload what ever they want but cannot view or delete anything in that directory. But no matter what they upload it will look like a blank directory to them. So you need to make sure they don't upload the same file 500 times thinking nothing is there.

When you want to get the files off that directory then change the ftp permissions to: 555 this way you can view and download the data but they cannot delete anything off it. When you want to delete the data you will have to CHMOD it to like 777 or whatever you want.

I don't know if all FTP programs will let you CHMOD it to whatever you want but if your's wont try Leech FTP. I can post it here if you all need it.

10. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well the case with anon ftp is any user who find out the ip and login, but the case requires only authenticated users to be allowed to login.

11. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hmm... thats a nice trick. Let me try that out later and see if it helps. Probably it will help me with my next customer.

12. CIDER

CIDER Member

thank you ddeans that worked perfect, we had that idea just didnt know what value to set it to.

Thanks to all others who assisted aswell.

13. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

I didn't really know what to set it to either, Just messed around with it for a while. :D

14. CIDER

CIDER Member

hehe so did i for a good hour and i cldnt get 325 :P then i checked one of my other ftpp accounts and it was set to 325 :P lucky for me otherwise i cld have been there forever

15. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Yeah, You can gain ALOT of expeirience by fooling around with things. Sometime you gain to much. Glad it worked out for you!

16. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its true.

Any ideas about permissions where the user can actually see the files present in the directory to avoid the "they don't upload the same file 500 times thinking nothing is there." ? Just wondering.

17. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

No ideas yet, but I will work on that today, and try to get an answer for you.

18. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    great. thx.

19. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Actually you can't do it. Becuase if they need to upload to the directory then they will need to have write access. With write access this would allow them to delete files. So in order to do your specific task, they need write access but not view/list access.

If you are worried about them over-writing other files have them name their file with date and time on it, then there would be no two files alike.

Sorry it couldn't work out the way you wanted it to.

20. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    np, thx for all the info. I got a word from my customer (whom i lost), they got the same stuff from another host running on windows. Strange windows ftp server can do something linux can't :(