The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP account permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by durangod, Jul 23, 2013.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, when i update my script for my website it asks me for my FTP info. I have been giving it the main Cpanel login info but after some thought i decided to try something different as i really do not want to give out that info on a form.

So i set up another FTP account and i tried to use that to update the site. It failed saying that the FTP account did not have permission to overwrite files.

I spoke with the script tech support and they said the update script tries to create a file to test the permission, if success it updates, if it fails i get that error.

So my question is how do i set up an alternate FTP (other than my main login info) thru cPanel with permission to create and overwrite?

I plan to limit the FTP to one add on domain area for security and i think this is a much better option than giving out my cPanel info that has full access to everything.

Any ideas, thanks..
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can create a virtual FTP account in cPanel via:

"cPanel >> Home >> Files >> FTP Accounts"

This is documented at:

cPanel - FTP Accounts

Remember to login using the full FTP username (e.g. Ensure you are attempting to access a directory that you have access to. For instance, you can not edit a file in the public_html directory if you only granted access to public_html/123.

Thank you.