The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DonC17703, Nov 20, 2009.

1. DonC17703

DonC17703 Member

Oct 19, 2006

I am trying to create an ftp account for one of my clients so they can upload some large file to my web site.

I have created the account with access to a subdirectory specifically for them. When they attempt to access it they can get to a window that shows this (I changed to real web address and user names below):

FTP root at
    To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.

User directory has group access to: myusername

11/20/2009 09:58AM Directory .
    11/20/2009 09:58AM Directory ..

When they try to open FTP site in windows explorer they get:

the folder ‘’ is read-only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. To move, paste, rename, or delete files, you must use a different proxy. For information on changing your proxy, contact your administrator.

I have tried changing permission for the directory but is still does not work.
    I have tried accessing it though ftp software and it still does not work.

Can someone offer some guidance? I contacted my web host and they were not able to sort it out. I know this is possible as I often upload files to various printing companies throughout the US.
  2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Was the user prompted for and subsequently input the correct FTP login username and password?

It will be necessary to ensure the FTP session is properly authenticated (logged-in) as the applicable FTP user account that was created via cPanel.

For less troublesome usage of FTP access, I recommend using a standalone FTP software application and I would avoid using FTP via Windows Explorer or via any Internet browser.

If the client is more familiar with Windows Explorer for file management I may suggest using cPanel Web Disk via SSL so the client may directly drag-and-drop files to transfer; cPanel Web Disk is an implementation of WebDAV, of which there are also a number of standalone WebDAV software applications.

For our documentation of both cPanel FTP and Web Disk features please see the following resources:
    FTP Accounts
    FTP Session Control
    Web Disk