wills

Jan 29, 2003
I found out that when our clients create additional FTP accounts and map them to any directory the server rejects the username and password.

The FTP server is running proftpd right now, I switched it to pure-ftpd and the usernames started to work. Any ideas?

JP-HOST

Sep 23, 2004
Roscoe, IL, USA
wills said:
I found out that when our clients create additional FTP accounts and map them to any directory the server rejects the username and password.

The FTP server is running proftpd right now, I switched it to pure-ftpd and the usernames started to work. Any ideas?
I just had this same problem after the update to 9.9.8-C66 last night. I fixed it by running /scripts/ftpup --force

Last edited:

skanwhost

Dec 24, 2003
unable to ftp

I also changed to pure-ftpd and now the username and passwords are working again..

Is there a problem with using pure-ftpd instead of proftpd?

What has caused this problem with ftp user access and what can I do to fix it? I have already tried running ' run /script/upftp --force ' but received an error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JP-HOST

Sep 23, 2004
Roscoe, IL, USA
skanwhost said:
I also changed to pure-ftpd and now the username and passwords are working again..

Is there a problem with using pure-ftpd instead of proftpd?

What has caused this problem with ftp user access and what can I do to fix it? I have already tried running ' run /script/upftp --force ' but received an error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What error did you get?

Did you run /script/upftp --force or /scripts/upftp --force

challii

Feb 3, 2004
What is the chmod value od /etc/proftpd/passwds.vhosts ? Just i had to chmod it (chmodded to 777 at mo to make sure) because no addon accounts would work.

What should this be chmodded to?

edit: Also should we be worried about "User not known to the underlying authentication module." in our logs? (caused by addon ftp accounts)

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Isn't /etc/proftpd/passwds.vhosts suppose to be owned by root:proftpd ? Whenever I create an FTP account through a user's control panel, the file is reset to root:root ownership. I have run /scripts/ftpup --force and it does not seem to help. I'm running ProFTPD version 1.2.10 and CPanel 9.9.8 Current 66.

Last edited:

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
sparek-3 said:
Isn't /etc/proftpd/passwds.vhosts suppose to be owned by root:proftpd ? Whenever I create an FTP account through a user's control panel, the file is reset to root:root ownership. I have run /scripts/ftpup --force and it does not seem to help. I'm running ProFTPD version 1.2.10 and CPanel 9.9.8 Current 66.

Confirmed.. will be resolved in the next EDGE/CURRENT builds within 30 min.

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
challii said:
is this why we were getting vhost errors? what chmod mode should it be?!

chown root:proftpd /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts

(only affects the latest EDGE/CURRENT builds)

if you are running RELEASE/STABLE you are not affected