The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP accounts!

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by larry1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. larry1

larry1 Member

Hi guys,

i have c-panel 11 ( thats all i know), and someone is getting access to my server, i am guessing via FTp.(whoever it is is screwing up my site) when i went into my c-panel and went to the "FTp accounts" and then saw the ftp accounts there.. and tried to delete any of them i get this error:

FTP Maintenance
    Account Deletion

The anonymous user cannot be removed. If you wish to disable anonymous ftp access, please use the Anonymous Ftp Controls.

So i went to FTp controls and it was already set to no one having access anyway ( both options un-checked)

So i thought maybe i will change the password..well when i clicked that i got
    "The anonymous user cannot contain a password. If you wish to disable anonymous ftp access, please use the Anonymous Ftp Controls."

And it just takes me right back to the same thing. So i scrolled all the way down to get my ftp access logs and when i try to get them I always get Username/password wrong. or it just shows that that the log aint in there.

I dont ever use ftp, i always just use the c-panel itself to gain access to my files. as far as i am concerned, the ftp accounts can be deleted. but it will not let me do any of that. i would really like the anonymous@MYSITe NAME to be deleted, because that is the only way i can figure out that he is getting in to my site to screw with my files and stuff.

My host normally deals with this, but he is asleep and i need to get this done, as i hate havning to put my backup from each day into it.

Any suggestions?

I only have access to my c-panel.

2. rsaylor

rsaylor Well-Known Member

have you tried changing your password? The default cpanel account comes with FTP access.

3. larry1

larry1 Member

I have just changed that and i am gonna try to delete it now!

4. larry1

larry1 Member

Nope still wont delete!

5. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anonymous FTP cannot be deleted, but if it is not enabled it should not work.

Try logging into your anonymous FTP account:

FTP Host: yourdomain.com
    Username: anonymous@yourdomain.com
    Password: anything

Do you get in?

Anonymous FTP won't give you full rights to your account. It will only give the user access to /home/youruser/public_ftp if it is indeed enabled.

6. larry1

larry1 Member

Hi

Hey Guys, I am sorry i have not replied earlier ( Was busy looking for jobs):eek:

I got the ftp thing taken care of.. One other thing that i was gonna ask is..

I have alot of people accessing my site via Proxy ( I am sure of it, however i can not prove it).. Is there a way to Block Websites from seeing mine?

Or is there any Good Free Proxy scripts that will work in order for me to get users not too see my site who are using proxys?

I have seen some people do it via .hta access.. But i have no clue how to do that.. I mean i have the file..

This is what i got
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    # block proxy servers from site access
    # http://perishablepress.com/press/2008/04/20/how-to-block-proxy-servers-via-htaccess/

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:VIA} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:FORWARDED} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:USERAGENT_VIA} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:X_FORWARDED_FOR} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:PROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:XPROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR} !^$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_CLIENT_IP} !^$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F]

To use this code, copy & paste into your site’s root htaccess file. Upload to your server, and test it’s effectiveness via the proxy service(s) of your choice. It may not be perfect, but compared to blacklisting a million proxy domains, it’s lightweight, concise, and very effective ;)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have like 5 or 6 .hta files on my server (Via c-panel), But i dont know what they mean by Root?

Keep in mind, I dont know how to install anythign on a server.. I do know how to edit files and such though.

#6 larry1, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008