AVL

Nov 5, 2003
Our client wants to open anonymous FTP access to their /public_ftp directory with the
ability to anonymously upload files to /public_ftp/incoming. This is supposed to be done
by checking corresponding cPanel's check boxes in Account Settings -> FTP Manager ->
Anonymous FTP Control. "Allow anonymous access to ftp://ftp.<domainname>/" and "Allow
anonymous upload to ftp://ftp.<domainname>/incoming/" buttons should do that.

In fact, anonymous access is not allowed, instead, you can log in using
"[email protected]<domainname>" name as username and empty password (which is not an anonymous
login). Then you will be able to upload files to /incoming, but you cannot see its
contents (permission set to /incoming allows writing but doesn't allow reading!). As for
me, this is ridiculous.

Is there a standart way to allow real anonymous access to /public_ftp folder?

AVL

Nov 5, 2003
yes

WHM/Tweak FTP Settings:
Currently Installed Ftp Server: proftpd
Anonymous Ftp is currently: enabled

I-Web

Jul 7, 2003
i have just found that my server had anonymous ftp access switched on (we dont allow it)

I went into whm, and disabled it, it said restarting ftp server etc, but when i checked the anonymous ftp server was still running,

I manually edited

/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and changed

anonymous_enable=YES

to

anonymous_enable=NO
I guess if you change it the other way round it should work, but it appears that the WHM setting is not changing this like it should

:S

AVL

Nov 5, 2003
Obviously, you run vsftpd as your FTP server. I have proftpd. And WHM only allows to choose between proftpd and pure-ftpd. I'm a little bit depressed, becuase it seems like I will need to play around with proftpd.conf, though WHM+cPanel should provide all the needed functionality.

I-Web

Jul 7, 2003
lmao... this is where i got confused.....

I switch to pure-ftp as this bug with proftpd keep timing out had me running round in circles.....

Then i switched back from pure-ftp to proftpd, and that was the only setting i could use to control the anonymous ftp setting, as far as i am aware (via WHM) i am using proftpd, and after i made that edit, i typed

Service proftpd Stop
Service proftpd Start

And all was fine :)

I-Web

Jul 7, 2003
did you check that file?????

etc/vsftp/vsftp.conf

i know whm should sort it itself, but it worked for me... ;)

AVL

Nov 5, 2003
I don't have this file. My guess is that you run an FTP server other than proftpd.