The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftp backup -getting them back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by j2001m, May 2, 2012.

1. j2001m

j2001m Member

Sep 18, 2006
    so i am sending backup to a ftp server, if my server then goes down and never comes backup
    when i re-made a new server, whats the best way to get the backups back, the ftp server got a fast speed to my server, but you can only login using ftp, can not see any way of getting the files back within cpanel to the server.

why does cpanel not just have a screen to get all your backups back to a folder on the new server, somewhat a joke
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use FTP to get the files back, though?

ftp 21
    Name: username
    Password: password
    ftp> pwd
    Remote directory: /
    ftp> cd backup
    250 OK. Current directory is /backup
    ftp> lcd
    Local directory now: /home
    ftp> mget *
    With pwd, you can see the existing directory on the remote FTP machine. cd allows you to change to a new directory, while lcd shows the existing directory on the local machine. If you want to change the existing local directory for the FTP to download to, simply do lcd /path. Finally, mget * will download the contents of the directory.

Even easier to do this, you could use Filezilla to download the files to your local, non-Cpanel machine, tar them all up into one big archive, then move the files from your local system to the cPanel server. After on the cPanel machine, then extract them.