The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP backup password plain text

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djmerlyn, Oct 4, 2007.

1. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

Could the password area in the backup configuration for FTP not be stored in plain text?

Or atleast not be displayed as plain text?

WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.11.0-R16983

I have to ask too... When using remote FTP for backup, and using daily/weekly backup... Why is it generating all the daily backups and uploading them, then going and re-generating all the weekly backups and uploading them? The backup system is heavy enough on CPU creating the archives, but creating them 2 times when the same one could be uploaded to the folder back to back seems like a bit less of a waste of cpu time. The bandwidth I don't care about since it's on a vlan, but the backup processing time could easily be cut in half IMHO. *rsync would sure be nice...ho-hum :lol:

I think I will write a cron job on the NAS server instead, to rotate my backups, and just have cpanel run a daily...

Cheers!

#1 djmerlyn, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can configure backups in WHM to only do daily. Quite simple really. And if you wanted to use rsync to another server, you could do that as well.

3. djmerlyn

Thanks, my question wasn't how to change the backup to do only daily...but why is the backup script not smart enough to cut the daily/weekly processing in half by not re-creating the tar.gz backups twice?

And, why is the password stored in plain text for FTP?

And of course, why hasn't cpanel implemented rsync in there backup script?

If nobody can answer, no biggy... Maybe someone can tell me where the backup script is located so I can start hacking it up. Through about 100 major version changes, the backup script has stayed the same...and it's really really bad :rolleyes:

4. djmerlyn

Well, based on the date of these, I guess it's a pretty low priority. I'm not sure why though, seems like backups are as high of priority as anything else...

ftp passwords in plain text;

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=2150

FTP daily/weekly backups wasting processor power;

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4695

I don't have a bugzilla account, and have no idea how to get the staff to work on these... Seems like 2 relatively simple fixes for the staff?