The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Backups consuming too much network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ripside, May 10, 2005.

1. ripside

ripside Member

This is probably going to sound like a strange problem.

My FTP backups are going too fast.

My nightly FTP backup, to a server on the same network, is running so fast (gig-e network) that its consuming a large chunk of my local network, and also "taking over" the FTP server its uploading to. The destination server is an MS box (all I've got, don't start an MS flame war please), a Dell PowerVault, and is getting the transfer so hard and fast that its making the box unusable for others during the upload process.

Is there a way to throttle down the transfer a bit? Again, an incremental FTP backup would solve this by not having to transfer 20+ gigabytes every night.

I've been told running a backup to local disk is bad, or I'd do that and cron a transfer under more controlled circumstances.

I'm considering using a third - party FTP service which will let me throttle the incoming speed, but not sure if that will cause the timeout errors people are getting.

Suggestions?

2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

sure, depending on the OS your using and if its dedicated or shared or VPS, your going to have to throttle it either client side, or server side.

If server side is an option you can configure it manually, or use this wonderfull little thing:
    HTML:
    http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
    to throttle only bandwidth to a specific IP

if the only option youve got is on your MS box, you may want to go with a 3rd party ftp server that does this, there are even some open source ones that allow you to set max upload, also possibly consider using RSYNC , you CAN get it to run on your windows box too.

3. ripside

ripside Member

Easy fix

The FTP server is tied in with other Win accounts, so another FTP service would have been problematic - I worked around this by backing up to an external USB 2.0 drive attached to the Windows file server.

Still fast (well, compared to a floppy drive!) but it slows things down to where this isn't a problem anymore. Before backups were just saturating the network and the file server (a dell Powervault) was just completely tied up handling. Now they don't even show up, and I'm not consuming my expensive fileserver.

I'd LOVE to get a USB 2.0 external drive (around 150-200GB) mounted directly to each cPanel/CentOS box. Any suggestions, brand-wise, for Linux-friendly external drives?

4. jayntguru

jayntguru Member

I'm having the same problem, is there a way in cpanel to do this now, or any other graceful way to do this?

Thanks,

5. ripside

ripside Member

I didin't find a real solution. I need a destination FTP server that limits/throttles incoming connections.

Meanwhile, I'm backing up to a large external USB 2.0 drive, which really slows things down, as you can imagine.

6. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Cannot your Windows ftp server application do it? Most can be set per user or per all.

7. jayntguru

jayntguru Member

You could with IIS5 but not with IIS6.