The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Client in Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thedanks, Jun 30, 2010.

1. thedanks

thedanks Registered

I know but seriously... i tried using sftp through putty and it just doesn't cut it. What are my options?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure I understand the question but you can just as easy use SFTP with your FTP client, for example I use and swear by: CuteFTP Pro. (google it if interested)

cPanel can auto configure multiple FTP clients for you. Click FTP Accounts icon in your cPanel, scroll to find the Account Management Section where you'll find your username and another username_logs.

To the far right of the username item you'll find an icon to Configure FTP client (hard to see/read but it's there) click it.

Here you'll find options for other FTP clients. Filezilla, Core, Cyberduck. If you have one of those installed you can auto configure from this page.

Or, use the File Manager.

HTH

3. Sourya

Sourya Registered

I would suggest Filezilla............

Hi , i was also facing the same issue 2-3 years ago, but i found the best FTP client to use is Filezilla, Its completely free, & most helpful also, You can just google Filezilla, & get it...

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

I'd second FileZilla over any other FTP client.

I did wonder, though, is there a reason SFTP is being selected over TLS for secure FTP? TLS is a newer, more secure encryption method without requiring the insecurity of enabling a shell for all users that SFTP requires. It is also provided in FileZilla and available by default in WHM > FTP Server Configuration area using the TLS Encryption Support section (it's automatically set to Optional there).

You can even force TLS encryption for all users over both the data and command levels, thereby making FTP secure only on the machine (so no passwords are ever sent without encryption).

Of note, if you switch to TLS, you will need to use FTPES - FTP over explicit TLS/SSL in FileZilla as the Servertype in File > Site Manager section. FTPS - FTP over implicit TLS/SSL is not supported.

5. Pyloth

Pyloth Member

Yup, this problem is solved by using a more common FTP Client such as Filezilla.