The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Cpanel Accounts Only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fdnven, Nov 5, 2010.

1. fdnven

fdnven Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was just wondering how one can set up cpanel accounts that have access to FTP only. I created a package in WHM choosing only the file manager. However looking via the package manager it appears that any files placed will go into the Public_html folder. Is there a way to set this up so as the files are not accessible via the interenet but only thru the file manager and or a ftp client?

Thanks

2. mhmjr

mhmjr Member

You can create a new FTP user in cPanel by logging into cPanel then going to Files > FTP Accounts. This will open a form to create a new FTP user.

When you setup a new FTP user in cPanel, it asks for a Directory as part of the FTP user creation process. If you do not edit the directory, it will default to /home/domainusername/public_html/ftpuser, but you can edit this path to /home/domainusername/ftpusername and the FTP user will see that path as his FTP root and not be able to add content to public_html or anything else not under /home/domainusername/ftpusername. Even if you use the default path, and accept /home/domainusername/public_html/ftpuser, the FTP user should still see that path as his root and not be able to add files to or view files outside of that path.

--
    mhmjr

3. fdnven

fdnven Well-Known Member

I was looking for cpanel FTP accounts only. As in creating a full cpanel account with only FTP access.