The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP + Cpanel, How to enable virtual users with custom Directories.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maidenseye, Sep 8, 2005.

1. maidenseye

maidenseye Registered

Hello,

I've been looking and trying things (including installations and reinstallations of various FTP servers and daemons), however I CANNOT get virtual users to work. I don't need/want cpanel virtual users because there is no directory felxibility. Simply put I need to be able to make virtual users and pinpoint the directory for which that user has access too. Pure-ftpd won't let me do it manually as in through ssh, all settings are set and are according to their instructions on virtual user setup, however it's not working. So it must be because of cpanel.

I've also noticed that, cpanel users (and even virtual users .. as in the ones you create in cpanel) are not pure-ftp "virtual users" because the users are not stored in pure-ftpd.passwd ... so where are they stored?, and most importantly, why won't virtual users work?

I'm guessing cpanel won't let you make virtual users via pure-pw. Ok, no biggie, however what can I do to make them. I have multiple IP's on this server, so using a seperate FTP Server could be an option. There are a few to choose from ProFTP, vsftpd, tftpd. However, it will be much easier if I could just make virtual users using the current server and pinpoint their directories.

Thanks for all input.