The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP download

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ephlox, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ephlox

ephlox Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have allowed "anonymous" user to download ftp files. I have uploaded files in "public_ftp" folder. But i dont know how i can download it. My domain is "qtekuk.com" . i tried ftp://qtekuk.com but i am not able to access those file which i have uploaded in public_ftp folder.

i.e i have uplaoded seo.zip file in public_ftp folder.

please tell me how i can access it. How i can download it by FTP URL. Your help will be appreciated.

Best Regards from,
    Farrukh Hussain

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unfortunately, unless someone smarter than I am has some input, I don't think you can put it in a URL. (Why would you want to do that anyway when you can just use HTTP?)

The problem is that cpanel anonymous ftp is looking for a username of the form "anonymous@qtekuk.com". So to embed this in a URL you need something like this:
    ftp://anonymous@qtekuk.com:optionalpassword@/some/path and I'm not sure that IE knows how to parse the double '@' sign.

3. ephlox

ephlox Well-Known Member

Not Helpful

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. but it didn't help me. My client want to use FTP. And I have to tell him how to use anonymous FTP. He uploaded files in public_ftp so why it is not showing in ftp.qtekuk.com .

Regards from,
    Farrukh Hussain

4. Pyro411

Pyro411 Active Member

For IE the syntax would be ftp://user@domain:password@domain :)

ephlox what you're looking for is the permissions to allow anon users to download anon uploaded files, I'll have to look to find where that is, someone else would probably know right off hand though.

5. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It'll be there. You have to log in with a username of "anonymous@qtekuk.com" or it won't work.

Use an FTP client other than Internet Explorer, and use the above username, and it will work fine. I said/implied all this in my previous response, but I guess you didn't read it carefully enough. Unfortunately, the fact that my answer didn't say what you wanted to, doesn't mean that it's not the answer to what you asked! :D

The real solution is to educate your user that there is a better way to solve his/her problem. Although there could be some reason they absolutely need to use anonymous ftp that you haven't shared, you're really not serving them well if you don't take responsibilty for re-educating them when they ask for things that don't make sense. In this case using HTTP makes a hell of a lot more sense. Anonymous FTP is an ancient protocol that just doesn't make sense in this day and age.

6. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I missed this GREAT post, thanks so much for sharing that %40 trick - should have realized that!! I've been wanting that for years!

Anon users can download files if they have write access, simple as that. Not sure whether the directories need to be mode 777 or not, try without it and if it doesn't work change the permissions. The permissions will definitely need to be 777 on a non-phpsuexec host (ie if the downloaded files are owned by "nobody").

Be aware that if you publicly advertise the ftp site you'll be used a dropoff point by hackers and warez people. They also scan looking for open anonymous ftp servers (but I don't think they've necessarily worked out cpanel's anonymous@domain.com brokenness yet, probably just as well).

7. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry, one more point. Although he may be able to login as anonymous, ie without the domain on the end, it'll use the account assigned to that IP by default rather than qtekuk. That is, it'll appear to work, but the files will go in the wrong place! They *should* be visible by logging in again as anonymous, but may not be (eg write-only permissions).