The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Failure?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ramorse, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anyone else having FTP problems. All day today we haven't been able to connect normally.

The only way we can access via ftp is using CuteFTP and turning off a command called FEAT. Otherwise it connects and then times out without getting a list of files.

I have a support ticket in at Burst but they can't figure it out. It's clearly not just our server since others are having the same issue: http://forums.burst.net/showthread.php?p=22979

2. Vatoloco

Vatoloco Well-Known Member

FTP has stopped working for all accounts on my server. I have no idea what is going on. I'm using ProFTPd and when attempting to login I get this over and over

220 ProFTPD 1.3.0rc1 Server (ProFTPD) [my.ip.add.res]
    USER myusername
    Server closed connection
    Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

I've tried restarting FTP and restarting my server and running "Synchronize FTP Passwords" in WHM.... all with no luck.

3. cbwass

cbwass Well-Known Member

Did you get this fixed?
    I have a server at Burst with the same problem, can't login to FTP, well sometimes but mostly no way. I've tried just about everything reinstalled FTP (pure-ftpd), rebooted server start/stop FTP etc.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you're all with burst it would suggest a routing problem with their network.

5. cbwass

cbwass Well-Known Member

Chirpy, it could be as you say, the error I see in WS-FTP on my PC is '! Receive error: connection reset', if I set WS-FTP to keep trying after about 5 or 6 attempts it logs in OK.
    I remember reading ages ago that FTP servers choose a random port to reply to the cliente if that port was blocked/filtered it could be why I don't get a reply from the server but eventualy it replies when it uses a port that is open.
    Is that possible or a load of bull****.

6. Vatoloco

Vatoloco Well-Known Member

I'm not with Burst and it sounds like mine may have been a different problem. I was able to fix it by switching my server to pureftp. Pureftp worked and after that I then tried switching it back to proftpd and it was suddenly working again. I guess something had become corrupted and I just needed a reinstall.

7. ozarkhost

ozarkhost Active Member

The only way I was able to resolve this problem myself was to do the following
    rpm -e pure-ftpd-1.0.20-17.tls
    wget http://updates.cpanel.net/ftpinstall/pure-ftpd/fedora/1/pure-ftpd-1.0.20-16.tls.i386.rpm
    rpm -ivh pure-ftpd-1.0.20-16.tls.i386.rpm
    this was my only solution as the 17 rpm seems to cause this issue cpanel should look to see why?

please note this is a fedora rpm you should check to see what rpm or port you need for your os.

8. ozarkhost

ozarkhost Active Member

Odd note downgrading to 16 then going back to the 17 version seems to have fixed the issue.

9. lagoth

lagoth Member

question may not be totally on topic but since we are discussing problems with pure/proftp, is it now safe to go back to proftp? :confused:

10. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this as well .. I dont like pureftpd and from what I remember proftpd had security and other issues last we used it..

11. justhost

justhost Well-Known Member

Anyone? What is the status with Pro-FTP? Can it be run again? Has the vulnerability been corrected?

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should check by asking cPanel directly.